Chapter 8

Applejack was lying on her bed staring at the ceiling, thinking about the encounter with her pink haired friend when her phone rang. She frowned; it was late at night and she didn't know who could be ringing her - especially since the number was unknown.
  "Hello?" She said, attempting to be formal,
  "Hello." She was answered by a crisp, almost fake voice, "I am calling to discuss your friend Pinkamena Diane Pie."
"Oh...I thought ya normally speak to Twilight about these things,"
  "She was not available. I'm afraid this may come as a shock." Warned the voice, showing the first signs of any human emotion, "But Pinkamena is now in the asylums infirmary after a display of self harming."
  "What? She'd never do nothing like that!"
  "She has. And we believe it was due to her mental instability."
  "Right," Applejack whispered, tears beginning to form in her emerald green eyes, "I'll be there as soon as I can," With one hand still clutching the phone, she pulled on her hat and boots.
  "I am afraid it's not visiting hours."
  "Do ya think I care?" She furiously ended the call, then rung each of her friends in turn. Rainbowdash was the only one to answer.
  "Dash?"
   "Yeah what?"
   "We gotta get to the asylum,"
   "Why?"
   "Pinkie self harmed,"
   "What?!" Rainbows voice sounded strangled,
   "She's in the 'infirmiry' so some sorta hospital they got there,"
   "Yeah, yeah, see you there in five."

"Let us in!" Rainbowdash demanded when she and Applejack arrived at the asylum, "We need to see our friend!"
   "I'm afraid unless it's an emergency -" began the woman on the desk
   "It is an emergency!" Cried Rainbow
   "The only emergency we've had today is Pinkamena Dia-"
   "Yes!" Said Rainbow, exasperated, "We're here to see her!"
   "Alright," sighed the woman on the desk, "Go on in. She's in a private room at the back on the left." Neither Applejack or Rainbowdash were listening and had run through the double doors marked infirmary into a pristine white corridor. Their boots squeaked against the spotless floor as they ran towards their friend, hoping she would be alright.
   "You can't come in here." Said the guard on the next door along, "It's not visiting hours,"
  "We're here to see Pinkie - Pinkamena. The woman at the desk said we could see here cuz it's an emergency."
  "Alright. Private room at the back in the left."
  "We know!" Called Rainbowdash over her shoulder as she ran into the infirmary, dodging hospital beds to get to her friends private room at the end of the bright white corridor.
  "We're here to see Pinkie," Applejack said, out of breath, as she knocked on the door of the room. The door was opened by a guard who said nothing, just ushered the two girls into the hospital room. With a gasp Rainbowdash ran over to Pinkie Pie, tears in her eyes as she saw the huge red stained bandages on both her friends forearms, "Pinkie!" She cried in despair, "What -"
   "My name." She growled, "Is Pinkamena."
   "What?" Asked Applejack who had come over to join Rainbowdash at their friends bedside,
   "I just couldn't take it anymore." Said Pinkie calmly, "All this awful white everywhere. I wanted red! Pinkamena likes red." She smiled a manic smile and Applejack and Rainbowdash glanced at each other with worried expressions. They suddenly realised that the room was a pale green, rather than the stark white of everywhere else in the building and that it was because of Pinkies new inability to deal with the endless lack of colour.
   "Why are you here?" Pinkie asked, a wild look in her eyes,
   "Cuz we wanted to see you were okay?" Said Applejack, with a hint of a question in her voice,
   "I don't want you here." Pinkie snarled,
   "But-" started Rainbow,
    "No!" Screeched Pinkie, "I want to see Discord! Or Sombra. Or Maniac. I want to see my real friends."
   "We are ya real friends," said Applejack, looking hurt,
   "NO YOU'RE NOT!" Pinkie screamed,
"GET OUT OF HERE!!" Rainbowdash and Applejack slowly backed out of the room, the silent guard slamming the door in their faces. They were both crying as they heard Pinkie yelling at her guard to let her see Discord.
   "Who is that Discord fella anyways?" Asked Applejack, wiping the tears from her eyes,
   "Dunno but didn't Twilight mention him?" Said Rainbow, "I mean, as in Equestria him."
   "Maybe," Applejack replied, sounding unconvinced, "Maybe."

That night in Pinkies old common room, nobody spoke. Discord was as silent as Maniac and even Sombra wouldn't speak. They were all worried to death about Pinkie  and couldn't bring themselves to talk about her. Although they had only known each other for a few weeks, Pinkamena had changed their lives for the better; just as she had changed her old friends' for the worse. However, she never realised what she had done to any of them for her brain was very different to the way it had been before. As was she. For at that very moment she was planning the death of her guard so she could escape the asylum she was forced to call home.