Chapter seventeen: Taking a stand

Yulia sighed as she walked into the school, the knees of her faded, aged jeans scruffed up with fresh grass stains and a newly forming bruise under her left cheek.

"What happened?!"

She winced at the sudden voice right in her ear, prompting her to glare at the slightly taller redhead.

"You know, most people don't scream in peoples ears during interrogations, since, you know....You actually want them to be able to hear you."

Yulia retorted, side stepping away from Lena who just shot her a look.

"What happened?"

Lena responded, reaching to touch Yulia's shoulder only for the short haired girl to side step and smirk.

"Not your problem, is it Red?"

She retorted before sighing and adding "come on, let's just get to class."

Lena rolled her eyes but wouldn't push it any farther since she really didn't have the desire to endure the silent treatment from the other girl.

"Fine but you are coming to my place after school. I'm stuck baby sitting Katya and you owe me that much."

Lena retorted, earning a laugh.

"Blackmail, eh? Isn't that beneath you miss Katina?"

Yulia quipped as she followed the other girl into the classroom.

Yulia sighed as she tried to focus on the basic algebra that was written on the board. Lena of course was already done and reading, causing Yulia to roll her eyes.

Nerd.

She thought, though in all reality she wouldn't even call the word an insult.

Sighing she tried to focus though she knew that there was no use as she just slopped down anything to just be over and done with the assignment, after all one shitty worksheet wouldn't lower her grade too much.

sighing she lay her head onto the desk, trying to ignore the pain in her side as she recalled the events of that morning.

Well its not broken, it could be worse than a scrapped knee and a bunch of bruises.

She thought, just as she felt something hit her from behind.

Fucking damn dickheads.

She thought as she looked up, only to see then paper wad that had hit her go hurling back and hitting the dark skinned boy at the back of the room full in the face.

"Elena! See me after class."

The teacher exclaimed, causing a chorus of giggles to echo about the suddenly quiet room,  prompting Lena to blush.

Yulia stood by the door after class, trying to ignore the insults that were being hurled at her as the others pushed pass. when Lena finally emerged Yulia just glared at her.

"You shouldn't have done that."

She stated, earning a look from Lena who retorted

"And let them walk all over you? Hell no."

Yulia wanted to argue but knew that it would be like talking to a wall.

"Yeah well I don't want you to get in trouble because of me. Last thing I need is your parents thinking I'm a bad influence or something."

Yulia responded instead, earning a scoff.

"Yulia, I just got off the phone with my mother.  Frankly she found this whole situation the teacher's stupidity. They should  have said something to him when he first threw it."