chapter 40: Love is an excersise

Yulia groaned as she glared at the many texts she had received from Lena, who was making this whole avoid the red-head plan harder than it already was.

"Yulia Olegovna Volkova I swear if you don't answer her I am going to shatter that MP3 thing of yours!" Ivan called from their small living room. He wanted to know what the hell was going on between the two, Lena would call and Yulia would either let it ring or blow her off, though Lena had did the same thing a week prior.

If those two keep skittering around each other while acting like inflated peacocks trying to fucking compete with each other I am going to lock them in a room together until they settle this....Whatever the hell it is!

He thought, shaking his head as he finally heard Yulia pick up the phone in her room.

"What the hell is your problem? I said I needed to talk to you!" Lena all but yelled into the phone, prompting Yulia to hold it as far away as possible.

"I was busy!"

Yulia lied, earning a snort.

"Bull shit. I was going to tell you I was coming over this evening for that open mic night thing but I guess I wont since you're being a bitch!"

Lena retorted before hanging up, promptly throwing her cellphone onto the bed before bursting into tears.

I knew I would freak her out and she'd not want to talk to me again. Why couldn't I fall in love with someone other than my best friend? Because now I lost both!

She thought.

Yulia sighed as she fell back onto the bed, her eyes stinging as she fought tears.

I feel so lost. I shouldn't feel this way about her but everything she does effects me in some way. Why the hell does having her mad at me hurt so much?

She thought before sighing and getting up.

"I'm going to the gym."

Ivan didn't even have time to ask what was wrong until the door slammed shut.

What the hell am I going to do with her? If this keeps up between them I'm not going to have a door....or sanity.

He thought

It was late in the evening when Yulia finally left for home, finding that it was raining horribly.

Great. Lena's pissed at me, Ivan's going to kill me for being out so late in this weather and I'm going to get drenched.

She thought, turning the key on the bike, only for it not to start.

"Fan-fucking-tastic! Now I am stuck walking home or hitchhiking....and the walk would be a lot fucking safer!"

She thought aloud.

Lena sighed as she drove toward the far side of town, she had to clear her head and having Katya asking why she was crying wasn't helping. Her ankle ached in protest but she had shed the crutches over a week before, figuring it was healed enough to walk on if she was careful. Sighing she turned up the radio, unsure of where she was going or what she was doing.

I just need to get away for an hour

She thought just as she saw a familiar figure walking alongside the highway.

Pulling up Lena rolled down her window.

"You know it would take me a minute to run your ass over"

She called, only to get flipped off for that comment.

"Real mature. Now get in before you catch a cold or something. Don't make me force you into this car." Lena stated earning a sigh.

"Shut up."

Yulia grumbled though she went around to the passenger seat and got in.

\there was an uneasy silence passed between them for most of the ride until Yulia sighed.

"Lena...I'm sorry for blowing you off more or less for two weeks but I had a lot of shit going on, personal shit."

Yulia stated, looking down.

"And I'm sorry I called you a bitch but I hate being lied to." Lena responded, glad that it was dark in the cab so that Yulia couldn't tell she had been crying.

"Lena, would you mind staying for my turn at the mic tonight? I am bad with words but I'm okay with songs just please promise me you won't hate me for this."

Yulia stated, glancing down nervously.

"Okay fine, but after this we need to talk."

Lena responded.

Lena sat at the front of the bar, talking idly to Ivan who was serving drinks to two men who were covered in tattoos, though they did not make her as uncomfortable as some of the other men.

"Everyone...I wrote this song during the last two weeks...I just hope I don't look like a fool singing it."

As she began Lena's eyes widened

She can't possibly mean.....can she?

She wondered, slightly in shock as Yulia continued to sing.

Then at the end of the song Yulia turned toward Lena, eyes filled with tears.

"I know I have been nothing but an asshole but will you be my girlfriend?"

The whole place grew quiet then, as if waiting for Lena's response. Lena however got up and slowly walked up on stage, on hand lightly caressing the brunette's cheek.

Yulia closed her eyes, bracing herself for a blow though to her surprise what she felt instead was a pair of soft lips pressing against hers.

The whole place erupted into whistles and cheers then, causing both of the girls to blush as they pulled apart.

"So is that a yes?"

Yulia asked, still in shock.

'Of course, I wouldn't date anyone else."