Chapter 1

"Happy birthday, today my day
I make a wish, I blow the cake "

Happy Birthday- Tyga

Janae had always hated summers in New York City. It was humid, super-hot and sticky. There was no visible fun or pleasure in being out and about during the summer days. The only good thing about summer was Janae's birthday and today just so happened to be her 21st birthday.

Janae's cousin Lisa had decided they would hit up a club or two uptown and get into some sort of trouble. But with the weather being nearly 100 degrees, Janae had no intention of moving anywhere.

Janae wrote in her journal as she had Pandora playing in the background. She had just finished her 3rd year in college. She was the family's brainiac, the first to attend college. She was a Nursing student at NYU and although she loved everything about the human body, she really couldn't stand humans.

Janae's cell phone began to ring breaking her out of her deep concentration. She answered it, knowing it was her cousin Lisa.

"Yes?" Janae groaned.

"Eww! Excuse me birthday girl" Lisa spoke.

"Hi Lisa" Janae laughed.

"Happy Birthday Jay!" Lisa screamed on the other end.

"Thank you boo"

"You read for tonight? Did you pack?"

Janae was supposed to pack for tonight and be half way on he way to Spanish Harlem, where her cousin Lisa lived.

"Uh... its hot boots out there, and my hair just got blown out" Janae try to make up an excuse.

"You live in the damn Bronx, it won't take you that long Jay, stop bullshitting and move!"

Janae let out a sigh and flipped on to her back  while holding the phone.

"Do we have to go out? Can't we just make drinks at home?" Janae aasked.

"Are you dumb? Or are you stupid? It's your 21st birthday, license to drink and you want jungle juice ?" she laughed.

"I really don't feel like moving Lisa"

"Well you going to have to because everybody was invited"

"Who is everybody, I only have but two friends" Janae inquired.

"Don't worry about it" Lisa giggled.

"Lisa, I swear if all of Harlem comes to my birthday outing I'll never speak to you again"

"All of Harlem? Who do you think I am? I don't know THAT many people"

"A hoe, that's what I think" Janae joked.

"Whatever, just please tell me you bought a cute outfit"

"Yes Mom"

"Girl please! Get a move on, I want to see you in an hour!"

"Yeah, yeah whatever!" Janae hung up.

She looked down at her journal and the few sentences she had wrote down. She closed the book and got up. Grabbing her purse and overnight bag, she got ready to make the 30-minute trip to Harlem. The thought alone made her cringe it was summertime in Harlem. Which meant everybody and their Mama was outside. Janae didn't really know too many people in Harlem, but most of them knew her as Lisa's nerdy cousin.

Janae exited the train on 103rd and Lexington. She hadn't been here in over three months. Lisa and her would be meet downtown or in the Bronx as of lately. Janae hiked her purse on to her shoulder and adjusted her night bag in her right hand. She had to walk three avenues over to 1st.