Chapter 4

"I am confidently lost
I don't need you to find me
You don't define me
I am confidently lost
I don't need you to find me
Cause I'm not hiding"

Confidently Lost - Sabrina Claudio 

Janae

Janae felt an arm wrap around her waist and lift her off the ground. She had no clue who picked her up but they were headed in the opposite direction with her under their arm. The stranger finally stopped by the back emergency exit and placed Janae on her feet. She fixed herself and lifted her head to only be faced by Dave's face.

"Oh God!" Janae spoke out loud.

She turned to go find her own way and Dave grabbed her by the wrist.

"They shooting this shit up, are you crazy?" he pulled her out the back door.

As they finally reached the back alley of Cliff, where the trash would be thrown, Dave led Janae to the side walk. A huge crowd and cops were coming from every direction.

"I gotta find my cousins" Janae looked at the crowd that was pouring out and the craziness around them.

"Hey!" Dave grabbed her again.

"Let go of me" Janae yanked her arm, trying to walk towards the chaos.

Dave caught up with her and stepped in front of her, placing a hand on her shoulder pushing her back.

"It's hot as fuck, these niggas shooting, going nuts and you walking straight to the problem, are you dumb or what!?" Dave yelled at her causing her to jump.

"My family and friends were in there, you jerk!" She shoved him.

"You started all this shit, so move!" she shoved him again, Dave picked Janae up over his shoulder and walked to the opposite direction.

"Put me down!!" Janae screamed.

Once they got to the end of the block Dave put her down. He looked around, trying to remember where he parked.

"Come on, I'll take you home" he looked at her.

"I want to find my friends and cousins" Janae crossed her arms, tears brimming her eyes.

"Look, I'll take you home to Lisa's ... I'm sure she's good" Dave tried to console a drunk and upset Janae.

Janae couldn't even think straight at the moment, she was with the enemy, that's all she knew.

"Come on, my car up the block, we gotta move fast though, this shit too hot fam" he looked around him and all the people running.

Dave and Janae walked up the block towards an all-white range rover, Dave opened the door for Janae and ran over to his side. He started the whip and they zoomed off. The car ride was silent, only the sounds of sirens filled the void as they drove away from Inwood. Dave went towards Riverside highway, and once on it he sped off.

As Dave exited off 96st, he pulled up to a light, and for the first time in the car Janae caught a glimpse of Dave under the street lights. She noticed that his shirt was ripped, but down his arm was dripping blood.

"You're bleeding" Janae broke the silence.

"I'm what?"

"You're bleeding" Janae spoke up, turning on a car light.