Chapter 3

Chapter 3

When I come to the realisation that Finnick has had to suffer his recovery by himself for the past half an hour where Peeta has been making me feel okay I suddenly feel guiltier than ever. “Finnick” I walk over to him awkwardly rubbing his back and Peeta kneels down joining me. “Finnick its okay now” I whisper trying to relax him but I’m no good with words like Peeta is, he is really talented with words so I decide to leave the words to him while I continue patting his back.

When we’re all ready to go it’s about time because you never know what horror we will have to face if we stay there, maybe another person we love. I can’t go through that trauma again, none of us can. I got it easy this time because luckily Peeta is still here but if anything were to have happened to him during that hour I would never forgave myself for being so selfish. After all, it’s him who needs to come out of this alive I remind myself.

We’re just settling down when a parachute swiftly falls into our newly made camp on the beach. “Stay strong – H” That’s an odd thing for Haymitch to say “hmmm” I say aloud nudging the others from their snooze.

Without further questioning we open the parachute and find bread. With the water we got from the tree earlier and the many rolls we dig in. I am exhausted from my emotional break down earlier so I end up falling asleep without realising. I wake up and see three screaming figures run down the beach and I think they are coming towards us. Thank goodness I woke up now else we could all be dead in a matter of minutes. “Peeta, Finnick!” I say loudly arousing them. They follow my finger with their sleepy eyes and we are all up and weapons ready for a fight but what happens next is rather weird.

“Johanna” Finnick shouts flying into her arms. “Oh great” I mumble sarcastically under my breath but Peeta hears and gives me a look. I guess you could say I am jealous of her after the elevator scene. “Let’s go meet them” Peeta says grabbing my hand as we stroll across the beach.

I smile at Beetee and Wiress because I wanted them as Allies in the first place. Johanna shouts a ton of insulting things at me while I notice all three of them are totally covered in thick red blood. I don’t question Johanna I simply burst into action starting to clean up Beetee and Wiress.

Later on when we’re ready to sleep again. Johanna and Finnick are on guard duty so I go and snuggle down with Peeta. Finally the question that’s been on my mind escapes my mouth “Peeta why does Johanna hate me so much? Is it because I’m with you? Well that’s just confusing” I say dumbly. “No Katniss this isn’t to do them hating us being together. But I have noticed something very strange” “What is it?” I whisper because I know from Peeta’s tone of voice that we don’t want the whole of Panem hearing this conversation that is about to take place.