Chapter Eighteen

"I don't know about this," I say as Liam pulls up to a large mansion. There are flashing lights within the windows, and the bass is thruming through the house and onto the pavement. Red solo cups, and empty beer bottles litter the yard, and I am fairly certain I just saw someone on the roof.

So, I guess, typical rager.

"I'll be with you the whole time, I swear CC."

"I'm not drinking."

"I know."

"Who wants to play Truth or Dare?" yells a voice that I pinpoint as Joey.

I hear another voice yelling from across the house, "BITCH I CAME IN LIKE A WRECKING BALL!!!!"

Liam and I look at each other and then burst out laughing. He tugs me to the kitchen where all the plastics are playing truth or dare around the kitchen island. I try to turn around and make a dash for it but Liam holds me tight against his side.

"Hey, guys, can we play?"

Madison nods begrudgingly, patting the spot next to her for Liam. He pulls me to the opposite side of the counter and pulls a stool out for me.

"Liam, truth or dare," Joey says and Liam grins at him.

"Dare."

"Dare you to chug this beer."

"No way, man, you know I'm a light weight."

"That's the point. A dare is a dare, Jesop."

Liam sighs and takes the bottle from Joey. He puts the bottle to his lips and chugs it, wincing every few seconds. He groans, handing the bottle back to Joey, and leans against me gently.

"You're driving home," he tells me, and I laugh. He turns to the rest of the table, "I cannot be held responsible for my actions from this point on. I am such a lightweight."

"Alright! Madison," Jessica says, "Truth or Dare?"

"Dare."

"Dare you to kiss Joey!"

Madison smirks and looks over at Joey.

"C'mere baby," he says in mock seductiveness as he leans over to Madison. They kiss, a sloppy, wet, better done in private, type of kiss, and then pull away.

Madison zeroes in on me, and I feel myself shrink. "Sierra, truth or dare?"

"Truth."

A couple of the guys boo, but I roll my eyes.

"Who's the first guy you slept with?" She smirks, and I know she knows the answer. I swallow hard, because Liam doesn't know the answer. Not the correct one, at least.

Because if I say Daniel, then Liam will lose it. I will lose it, because I have done so much to push that memory back behind the others, to bury it in a corner of my mind.

Madison knows my answer, and if I lie, she will call me on it. Do I even have a choice now?

She notices my hesitation and grins maliciously. "Out with it girlie. We want the truth."

"Daniel," I grit out, and Liam looks at me like I have a third eye.

"What?" he says, venom lacing his voice.

"Liam, I can explain-"

"You told me you were a virgin!"

"Only because-"

"What the fuck, Sierra? What the actual fuck!? I can't believe you lied to me like that!" He gets off his stool and storms out of the kitchen. I stare at the floor my heart breaking, my eyes filling with tears.

Madison laughs. "You really thought you had a chance with him, didn't you. Cute." She gets up and walks in the direction Liam did. I don't. I don't follow him, I don't try to explain, I don't beg for him to come back. Because if I do he'll know about what his friends did to me, and that isn't something I want to relive.

The rest of the table stares at me, with looks of humor, and malice, and joy.

"You don't belong with us," they say, indirectly. The only look of sympathy I'm getting is from Joey, who looks conflicted, and worried.

I get off the stool and walk to the bathroom. I lock the door and look at myself in the mirror. I can be a person without Liam, I tell myself, even though I know it isn't true. Being with Liam, platonically or not, makes or breaks my happiness. I can't be me without Liam.

I heave out a gasping sob, but I hold the tears back, my head throbbing.

I need a ride home, I think, just as someone knocks on the door.

"Sierra? You in there?" It's Joey.

I don't say anything.

"Sierra, I know it's you."

"What do you want, Joey? Here to call me a slut and remind me that I'm terrible in bed? Don't worry, I haven't forgotten," I say bitterly.

He sighs. "Please let me in? We need to talk."

I consider it for a second. But only a second.

"Why should I? When have you ever sided with me? Stood up for me when I was being tormented and bullied, when that fucking video was being shown, huh Joey? Liam was the only one who chose me over you, and now he's gone because of something you and your fucking friends did!"

"Sierra, please."

He sounded desperate.

"You get five minutes."