Out of the Road

Two days passed after the kiss, it was a new day and they were closer to camp.  They never talked about it, it was so natural that they didn't felt strange at all, they hold hands and talked about anything, more smiles were on their faces, they completely forgot about the world, about the war, about the aliens.

They stopped like all days to make a small fire, one day ahead to be on the resistance camp, they placed their bags on the ground, Charlie had a little more strength, she helped preparing the cans of food they were carrying, Ben was the one bringing the wood and turning the fire on.

-Charlie: I never told you this but... No one ever called me Charlie.

-Ben: What??.. No way, Why?

-Charlie: I don't know, my mom never liked it, she used to said it was a name..

But Charlie got interrupted by Ben, He suddenly started screaming from pain, he was grabbing his head with both hands, like he was having a really hard headache, the pain was putting Ben into the floor, and when Charlie turn around to see Ben, His spikes turn on. The corner of the spikes lighted up blue .

-Charlie: Ben?!

Charlie walked toward Ben trying to grab him, but when she was close enough, Ben stopped screaming. He stood up quickly, standing there frozen, his sight was lost, you couldn't say exactly what he was watching or where, it was lost, like if he wasn't even there.

-Charlie: Ben what's wrong?

But there was no answer.

-Charlie: Ben?

Suddenly Ben started running. He was running like he had been called somewhere,  to a completely different direction to where they were going, Charlotte freaked out, she knew something bad was happening, and just as he promised to keep her safe, with everything that she had even if it wasn't much, she was going to do the same for him.

-Charlie: BEN!

So Charlotte started running, she didn't care about her leg, she just cared for Ben's safety, and she knew something was wrong, so she run as fast as she could, forcing her leg, going behind him trying to catch up, burying the pain deep so it didn't distract her from helping him.

Ben run fast, faster than her because of his ability. They were running in the woods, his spikes still got blue light, like in someway he detected something, or the aliens turned on something on him. They kept running, she kept screaming his name, waiting for him to listen to her, to wake up, to came back into his senses.

Ben was running like a magnet, like he knew exactly where he was going, still he got pretty nervous, because Ben was still inside, something was having control over him, and for the first time since they removed the harness from his back, he felt it again, he felt them, the skitters, he felt the same way he was feeling with the harness on.

Then Ben started to run slower, looking all around him, Charlotte got the opportunity to catch up with him, she arrived from behind when she noticed that Ben was standing in the corner of a cliff.

-Charlie: Ben Stop!!

Slowly, Charlotte starting walking to face Ben, it was dangerous because that meant that she was going to be closer to the cliff.  She stood up in front of him, and with her hands on Ben's face, she was trying to force him to look at her. Ben sight was still lost, looking straight, like if he could see exactly what was in front, miles away in front of them.

-Charlie: Ben please look at me, please, Ben!!

-Ben: He is here, he is  close.

Ben sight was still lost, but somehow he took control of his thoughts and words.

-Charlie: Who? Ben, look at me!

Then Ben looked straight to Charlie's eyes, his spikes turn off,  he was back on control, he saw her eyes of worry, red full with water, he didn't notice that his eyes were the same but the feeling that someone could caught was anger. But Charlotte noticed, she didn't care, she was relieved and happy 'cause he was back.

-Charlie: Oh my God Ben, you're back.

Charlie hugged him, and when he slowly gave her the hug back he noticed the cliff.

-Ben: He's close..

-Charlie: What? Who? What just happened?

-Ben: The red eye. He was in my head, he knows i'm coming for him.

-Charlie: Ben.. you're not making any sense.

-Ben: I'm still connected with them, in a different way, i could feel him. He is so close, he basically told me.... ' Bring it on'

Charlotte was shocked, everything Ben was saying didn't make sense, but she believed him.

-Charlie: So.. he took over your mind? he bring you to a cliff...

-Ben: To show me that he has more control... that.. He can easily kill me.

-Charlie: Omg! How do we take him out of your head?

-Ben: It's ok now, he can't hurt me, i know now how to take control.. He is was watching us.

-Charlie: Is he over there?

Charlie said pointing  straight, in front of the cliff.

-Ben: He was dumb Charlie. He was on my mind, but i was on his too. I know where is he now, and i'm going to go to kill him.

-Charlie: What if he  takes control over you again?

-Ben: Oh Charlie, I'm sorry, are you ok? You ran?!

-Charlie: I mean.. yeah i was worried.

-Ben: Let me look at that.

-Charlie: No! I'm fine, i promise, it didn't hurt.. at all. I'm.. fine, no bleeding, no pain.

-Ben: Are you sure?

-Charlie: Yeah umm.... I can still hang on one more day, and then Dr. Glass will be checking me right?

Ben hesitated, he was worried about her, after all she ended up running way too much for what she was allowed to. But Ben decided to trust her, she had been doing better this past days that he trusted that maybe she was getting better and Dr. Glass was only going to give her meds.

They went walking to the place where they were supposed to stay a night, pretending everything was ok, but they both knew it wasn't, because Ben was trying to hide the fact that he was happy for his revenge and only that, but at the time Charlotte was hiding her pain, because she lied to him, she wasn't ok, her leg was worst, and she could felt it, but she decided to keep it to her self, Because she knew she was one of the reasons he needed to wait on his revenge, and her injury was going to be another. So she kept the pain quiet, burying it again as deep as she could.