Our own Path

The eyes of Ben were shining, he was staring at the person he loved and the person he thought he had lost. Charlotte was in front of him, her hands were shaking, she looked pale and she was staring at the body of the death alien.

Ben, who was also a little pale, stood up and slowly started walking to Charlie.

-Ben: I thought I've lost you.

He couldn't help to have a small smile on his face, but he knew it was a shocking moment for Charlie, and he understood what was going on inside her mind. Charlotte looked up when she heard Ben's voice, and when she notice Ben was close enough to touch her, she gave a step back, frightened.

-Ben: Charlie, it's me.

-Charlie: Is it over?

-Ben: Right now.. yes.

And then Charlotte broke into tears, allowing Ben to approach her, putting his arms around her and letting the tears run down on Ben's shirt. Ben grabbed Charlie by her shoulders, and he placed her in front of him, to have the chance to stare at every single detail of her face, to make sure this wasn't a dream.

-Ben: It's ok now, you saved me.

Charlotte stared at Ben's eyes , and then a strange noise came from outside the building. It was the crying of skitters, and a weird crying coming from the main ship, one of their leaders had fallen.

-Ben: We need to go, they will come to make sure if he is truly gone.

-Charlie: Go where?

Ben stared at Charlie's expression, and it was a sad look. In a way he understood, but not entirely, he still had his family and they were still involved on this war. Charlie had  only him, and she had been in more danger than any of the Masons.

-Charlie: I.. killed it, he was going to hurt you and i didn't know what to do.. the pipe was there and..

Her eyes were  wet, and she still had so much more tears inside.

-Ben: Shh! Charlie, it's ok.

-Charlie: I can't keep going.. i know you have your family, maybe it's better if...

-Ben: Don't, i know what are you going through, and you scared, but i'm not letting you out of my sight again. I love you, and i'm sorry, you are on this mess because of me.

-Charlie: I love you too.

Ben stroked Charlie's forehead and they both stared at each other's green eyes for a magical moment before leaving the building. Outside, the stars look brighter than ever and Ben smiled at them and put his look again back at Charlie, who was watching the stars stunned by their brightness.

-Charlie: What do we do now?

Ben kissed Charlotte on the lips, and for the first time he felt what he was looking all along on this journey, he felt peace with himself. A war was still happening , but it didn't  matter, because she was there with him and he was going to be there for her, The choice wasn't if he killed or not the Red Eye, the choice was right there... What next? 

So he followed his heart, and decided to do what was best for Charlotte, he was everything she had left, and now it was his turn to save her.

*********

The  Second Mass had been reunited for a couple of Days now, Hal got Tom Mason back and the camp was ready to start the revolution. With the days passing, more people came from different places to join the army, and with the news of the red eye gone and no more skitters on the streets, they were getting ready to attack the major problem.

There were still mechs attacking, and there has been no word of Ben since they went separate ways. Every time someone new came, Hal was hoping to see his brother, but he never showed.

A boy then with some spikes on his back called Jasper came one day, he told the story of the revolution about the others, about kids willing to fight  next to the second mass, kids strong enough to end the war. But before Jasper came back to his camp, he approached Hal.

-Jasper: You are Hal Mason, right?

-Hal: Yes.

-Jasper: This is for you.

Jasper gave Hal a white envelope that contained a letter inside, outside there was Hal's name on handwritten of course, and he knew from who it was.

-Hal: Is he ok?

Jasper just smiled and he pointed the envelope before turning around to get back to his own.

Hal:

     I wish i could have been there when you got father back, please tell him i love him, and give a big hug to little Matt. I don't intend to break my promise to him, i will come back and we will see each other again.

Things got complicated, but i'm ok now. I didn't lose myself, some weird things happen that you won't believe, and i will be telling you  and the rest  of camp the whole story of my journey, but there's someone who needs me right now, and if i don't help her she might lose herself the way i did.

I know that nothing makes someone stronger than their family, and trust me this was a hard call, but Charlotte has no one left and i love her, damn, i love her so much Hal i don't know how to handle this strong feeling. There are rumors about a place called "The Paradise", it is close to Canada on some mountains, they said the aliens haven't been there at all, like some force keep them out of the place. I'm going to take her there, in a way, i'm walking  away of this war because mine it's over, this one is yours and Dad's with the rest of the second Mass, you are the only ones who can end this.

I'll be safe Hal, and i ask to the stars ( as silly as it sounds) that all of you be safe as well.

Brother, we had our troubles before, but i wouldn't ask for any one else in my life, We will see each other again when each of our wars are over. Please, try to explain dad and tell Maggie that Charlotte doesn't blame her.

Take care, Ben Mason.