To let Go

It was the next day, the Masons were walking searching for the group where Maggie and Charlotte were. They waited for the attack to be over and a little longer so it was safe for them to leave the place, before the three of them entered to the forest on their task, Hal saw for the last time camp, he saw the ruins, he saw what was left of a human resistance work. The aliens were powerful enough to bring down in seconds a resistance and at the same time bring that group of people apart.

They walked for a while, they got some time to rest since Matt couldn't walk any longer. Ben tried to rest but he couldn't erase the last look that Charlotte gave him , he couldn't avoid thinking the worst, all he wanted to do was to find her and make sure she was fine.

On the afternoon of that day in the middle of the forest, just a little further from where they were walking , Matt spotted a small group, and the one he recognized was Maggie.

-Matt: Maggie!!

Little Matt run toward Maggie, and she received him by grabbing him on the air with a hug, spinning him around. Hal and Ben run behind him too.

-Maggie: Hal!

Maggie run toward Hal, and they hugged each other for a while, he grabbed her strong, and you could hear the need of her to be with him when she called him , same need Ben had. While Hal and Maggie were having a conversation, about the group and what happened next when they ran away, Ben was looking everywhere, he wasn't moving from where he was standing, he was searching for her with his eyes in such rush; but between the people he spotted he couldn't find a sign of her.

-Ben: Where's Charlotte?

Ben asked interrupting Hal and Maggie's conversation. Maggie turn to see Ben, she gave him a soft look and was trying to find  the exact words to tell him what happened, Hal notice that gesture from her.

-Ben: Maggie? Where is she?

-Maggie: Ben..

-Ben: What?! Is a simple question Maggie!!

Ben was getting angry, and he raised his tone.

-Hal: Ben calm down.

-Maggie: It's ok Hal. We got to this safe place fast, we were setting ourselves to wait for you. I told her you were coming, i told her how a Mason cared, you wouldn't leave us, but she seemed weird.

-Ben: Where is she Maggie?!!

-Maggie: She left. She told me she couldn't take it any longer and that it all had been a mistake, i tried to get her into reason but she seemed so determinate. She said she was better on her own.

-Ben: What?    No, no no. She wouldn't. Gosh Maggie you leave her?! She was probably scared!

-Maggie: BEN! she didn't want anything with us.

-Ben: We need to find her!

Ben was getting nervous, his breathing was fast, the tone of his voice was loud, his face such as his eyes were red, some sweat was on it too, his fists were ready to hit whatever or whoever got in his way.

-Maggie: She left a while ago... i'm sorry Ben.

-Ben: No! WE NEED TO FIND HER SHE IS NOT SAVE.

Hal tried to grab his brother.

-Hal: Calm down Ben.

-Ben: Calm down?! Are you people stupid!? She is a girl younger than you Maggie! And you're telling me you couldn't stop her.

-Maggie: It was her choice Ben... She left you. I'm sorry to say it that way, but she's gone.

Ben turn to hit the tree behind him, and because of his super strength some pieces of tree bark flew on the air, making every person in that group turn to see Ben.

Ben walked away to be alone with his thought's, and Hal followed him.

-Hal: Hey! Ben... i'm sorry, but we need to move the other way, we had a hint on dad. 

-Ben: I can't Hal... i can't..

-Hal: Yes you can, ok i know you love her, but she left you and dad wouldn't do that us.

Ben was looking to ground, trying to put some sense to the situation, trying to swallow his tears.

-Hal: Maggie is coming with us, this is the moment were the Masons take their own path. The only one willing to be with us, and you know it, is Maggie. I'm sorry bro.

Hal put a hand on his brother shoulder, trying somehow to comfort him, but he didn't know that Ben's world, even if they were going after their father, was falling apart. He didn't know how to feel.

*******

They left the group the next morning to the completely opposite side where Charlie had left. Their plan was to get their father, Tom Mason, follow the clues, and then meet with Anne and the rest of the resistance. He wouldn't leave her behind, so why did she do that? That's all he could think about.

They walked all that day, the four of them, and even if Matt wanted to make Ben feel better, he couldn't. They arrived to some hills, there was a small cave where they got some rest that night.

The sun was rising a day after, and Ben got up early. His thoughts were too loud, keeping him awake most of the time. He stood up and went to the top of the mountain to watch the sunrise, to try to clear his feelings, to focus on his father and what mattered now.

Maggie showed up from behind.

-Maggie: It's beautiful.

Ben didn't say anything, he just kept looking at the sky.

-Maggie: I'm sorry. I'm sorry she didn't notice how great you are.

-Ben: The sunset would be more beautiful if that big spaceship from far wouldn't ruin the view.

-Maggie: I know you are hurt Ben. I know you, remember? I... I've been thinking something... about us.

-Ben: What?

-Maggie: When you left, before you told me that you gave me your heart and i treated it like it was nothing... Well it wasn't nothing Ben.

They were both facing at each other now, and Maggie was getting close to him.

-Ben: Maggie, we talked about it, it was nothing, you're with Hal now.

-Maggie: You went away Ben, and when you came back, those feelings came back too.

-Ben: Maggie? Whoa.. wait.

But before Ben could say anything Maggie kissed him. But there was something strange in Maggie's behaviour ...