From the Stars

The night was showing up, the sky filled with stars and the moon was brighter than any other night after the invasion.

Ben was walking, his hands were covered in blood and there was some on his face, he had a vague memory of what happened minutes ago on that school, he just remembered hearing a whisper and finding the strength on him he thought he was losing at that time.

He was walking between the ruins of a city he couldn't recognize, he only knew he was heading north thanks to the tip Diane gave him, he wasn't sure if he was close, but he was certain that he was on the right road; The red eye wouldn't be that scared if Ben wasn't right.

Ben found a small fountain and used the little bit of clean water he found to wash his hands as well as his face, but in that empty and ruin city he heard a noise, like someone was there hiding from him. When he turned around he could only catch a glimpse of someone running from building to building.

-Ben: Hey you!

Ben started running behind the person, he still couldn't see him clearly, but it was definitely human.

-Ben: Wait, I'm not going to hurt you!

The person turned on the corner and Ben followed, founding himself on an alley without end, he was shocked and he stopped moving. In front of him, a few miles away , there she was standing; a women with light red hair giving him her back, her clothes were intact and she was well dressed. And then she turned around, but Ben already knew who she was, he recognize the sweater and long red hair, there was no way he wouldn't recognize his mother from far.

Rebecca Mason, was standing right in front of him.

-Ben: Mom?

-Rebecca: Ben.

They both started walking to each other, they didn't run, they just walk fast to keep the moment. Immediately, Ben hugged his mother, resting his head on her shoulder feeling the warm of her arms around him, feeling joy and love more than anything.

Ben didn't want to break the hug, he wanted to stay like that forever, but he needed to know what was happening, after all he saw his mother die in front of him on the hands of the red eye.

Ben stared at the blue eyes in front of him, and they were shining more than they have ever shine.

-Ben: But how? I.. I saw..

-Rebecca: Ben.. I'm not your mother.

Ben gave a step back, giving her a look of confusion and rejection. He knew that, he just wanted to believe she was there.

-Ben: Am I dreaming again?

-Rebecca: No, you're not. We needed to present ourselves to you with a familiar face.

-Ben: So my mom is..

-Rebecca: Yes, she is with us Ben, with the stars.

-Ben: The stars? What?

-Rebecca: You know what they say? That the stars are always looking at you, that you have this destiny written on them, that when you die you become one of us, and you are meant to shine to guide your love ones. That whisper you heard before "Get up Ben" That was your Mother.

-Ben: I don't understand, you are telling me you are .. The stars?

-Rebecca: You've come a long way. We've been watching you Ben, and we are so proud of you, including your mother, i bet if the rest of your family could see what we see, they would be in tears.

-Ben:This isn't happening.

Ben turned around to leave the weird creature in front of him behind. But his mother, or, the stars came from behind him, placing her hand on his shoulder. Ben couldn't avoid to feel the safety he felt with his mother, and it broke his heart, but because he was able to feel that he decided to trust it.

-Rebecca: We know this is hard for you, but you can speak as if you were speaking to your mother. Trust us, she's listening.

-Ben: Fine, why are you here?

-Rebecca: We are here to remind you in who will you become, we know your destiny. You are the great hero, and even if you are just one boy, you are the key to defeat one piece of the puzzle in this war.

-Ben: Why me?

-Rebecca: You are stronger than you think, let's just say you have it in you, deep down you always knew.

-Ben: You came to congratulate me? Because if you haven't notice, i'm losing.

Rebecca smiled.

-Rebecca: We are also here to let you know you are not alone, and we have a gift, you just need to trust us.

Ben hesitated for a second, staring at her mother's body, smiling at him.

-Ben: I trust you.

*******

They walked a few miles into the city, the city was big and Ben never notice it. Even if they haven't talk to each other, Ben stared at the body with careful and felt the warm he felt when he thought it was her mother, deep down he knew she was there.

-Ben: So 'The stars' it's a type of Alien? How is it that i can touch my mother's body?

-Rebecca: We are not Aliens, we are literally stars. And you can touch her because we are allowing you to, I told you, we needed to came in a body of someone you knew and trust.

-Ben: Nice.

Ben was behind her the whole time, and then she stopped.

-Rebecca: We are here.

When Ben caught up with her, from a few steps he saw it, The red tower. He was in front of the building where Charlotte was being a hostage, he was in front and so close of his revenge, of showing the red eye he was wrong, and so close to finish this war with skitters.

-Rebecca: Destiny is not written Ben, life it's about choices, we just know the result of each choice you could take. Yes you are the great hero, but that also is up to you. Bringing you here, is our gift to you. Good luck Ben Mason.

Ben was about to leave and enter the building, but before he could do that, he did one last thing.

-Ben: Mom? I love you, and i feel like i should've done something more to save you, and i feel guilty and a coward, and i wish you could be with me and i can hug you forever and i can feel safe again. I will love you forever and i promise i will keep our family safe.

Rebecca's body was smiling, and for moment you could see it wasn't just a body, she was there too. And Ben hugged her mother one last time before getting inside the red tower.