Almost There

The next morning her leg was worst. The pain was stronger, but she decided to keep it quiet, there was only that day left ahead so why not wait a little longer. She wanted to enjoy her last day with Ben, after all, he was only going to leave her on camp and then he was going to go back to his task, his revenge. She didn't knew what they were, but she knew how she felt and Ben was in the same situation, in the middle of an alien invasion, you don't stop to ask a girl to be your girlfriend, if the feeling of both of them is real, and trust me it is, that's all it took for people to be together, there was no time to waste.

They were happy enjoying the morning, the smiles of each other, the sound of their voices, the touch between them.

-Charlie: You know, i was always terrified of prom.. Like the rest of the girls always dreaming of it but, it terrified me that a guy wouldn't invite me, it was logical. I guess i can now thank the aliens. No Prom.

-Ben: What are you talking about Charlie? You are beautiful, so stunning. I ... I got lost in your eyes the first time you looked at me.

Ben told her that while they were walking next to each other, and in that moment Charlotte stopped to look at him with careful, with a smile on her face and her cheeks red. It was the first time a guy called her beautiful.

-Charlie: Really?

Ben turned to see Charlotte standing there, with a shine on her look.

-Ben: Yeah, for real.

-Charlie: I wouldn't have liked to waste time with someone from my high school. I would have loved to be there with you.

-Ben: You believe in destiny?

-Charlie: I used to.

-Ben: Well, i hate the aliens, nothing will make me love them and you know that. But if it wasn't for them, i wouldn't have met you. I promise you, Charlotte Samuels, i will take you to Prom when this is all over, and it will be over.

-Charlie: I don't think proms will be a thing after this..

-Ben: I'll make your own.

They were standing close to each other, staring at each others eyes, it was strange and cute at the same time that they both had green eyes, and still they were different. Like stars, they all shine so beautiful, and they all look the same, but they're different, and some of them are meant to be close to each other so they can shine brighter.

But then a skitter ruin the moment, he showed up from behind Charlie, running towards them, just in the moment when Ben was about to kiss her.

-Ben: Charlie, look out!

Ben pushed Charlie aside. He didn't measured his strength, so Charlie end up rolling on the floor, He didn't push her hard, but Charlie definitely wasn't expecting that. Ben was trying to take out his knife from his boot, but the skitter run toward Ben, attacking him, leaving him with no chance to take out the knife, or any arm. The skitter was on top of Ben trying to scratch his face, trying perhaps, to kill him, but the skitter only made one small cut on Ben's neck.

Ben was trying hard to push the skitter away, all the weight of the alien was crushing him, he wasn't trying anymore to take out his knife, he was trying to breath, to keep fighting with his arms. You could see Ben was getting tired , and that he wouldn't keep the alien arms away from him for much longer, but suddenly gunshots surrounded the place, three to be exact, and the skitter fell on his side dead.

When Ben stood up, he saw Charlotte with the gun on her hands.

-Charlie: Are you ok?

******

They kept walking, they were even more close now, just a few minutes away from the camp. Charlie was sweaty, but she also looked different, strange, and Ben thought that it might be the shock from the gun shot, but he never imagined what was it about.

-Ben: You did pretty well back there. How do you feel?

- Charlie: Uhm, i never shot a gun before but, i was trying to help you.

Charlie sounded tired, distant, she didn't even looked at him.

-Ben: I think skitters might be getting crazier, perhaps the red eye thought i was going to give up on my revenge after what he did. He was trying to scare me, and now that he knows i know where he is he is afraid, and he is sending everyone, or may..

-Charlie: You are going back, right?

-Ben: Hmm, well... Hey look, camp is crossing that part of road.

Charlie placed herself in front of Ben, avoiding him to continue walking, she was pale now, she looked horrible.

-Charlie: Ben!

-Ben: Charlie are you ok? You don't look well. Do you..

-Charlie: Are you going to leave me there? And then, you will be gone? Back to it?

-Ben: Well, the idea is to leave you there until you heal, and then i'll be back, after it all ends.

-Charlie: What if you don't come back?

-Ben: I will, Charlie. I promise. You are going to like everyone there.

-Charlie: Take me with you.

The voice of Charlie sounded desperate, like if she was running out of time to say the things, her breathing was fast and her face was still white, pale. She sounded scared.

-Ben: What?

-Charlie: You never asked me to, but i want to go with you, i want to help you, i ...

-Ben: No, it's too risky.

Charlotte place both of hear hands on each side of Ben's face.

-Charlie: In this war, i might be in danger  there too, we can go now, don't waste more time. You and Me.

-Ben: Charlie? let me see you leg!

But Charlotte hands didn't moved, and her eyes were losing, her body was losing strength.

-Charlotte: I love you Ben Mason.

Charlotte kissed Ben, she was shacking but she gave him, what she thought was her last kiss. And then she fell on Ben's arms, passing out.

-Ben: Charlie??