4: Always

Despite the humidity made worse by the crowded stadium, it didn't stop the fans from jumping around screaming the names of the athletes. The six athletes sprinted through the tracks and all jumped over the hurdles in sync except for one. This was because she was ahead of them all. 

No matter how hard the other runners tried, the winner was made clear with the approaching finish line. Her long pale legs kicked over the white line and the cameras zoomed towards the winner. The Korean supporters in the audience screamed, proudly waving their flags for the cameras to see. She panted for oxygen as she gave the camera a thumbs-up, before planting a kiss on the South Korean flag, printed on her shirt. The clip switched to the commentators talking about the results.

Iseul half-heartedly ate the cold rice from the silver bowl. Her lunch had been delivered an hour ago and yet she hadn't finished. Staying in the hospital for a whole week had drained her energy that even chewing her food became too difficult.

It could have been her. It would have been her who crossed that finish line.

Iseul had a lot of free time where she did nothing but sit on that hospital bed. She used that time to think. One thing she couldn't stop thinking about was how easily that accident could have been prevented. If only she hadn't made that stupid mistake of speeding on the road. It wasn't an innocent accident, it was her idiocy.

Having had enough of the food, she put the tray aside. She pulled away the covers, exposing her newly bandaged legs.

For the next few minutes, she struggled to place herself comfortably on the wheelchair. Iseul had practised countless amount of times, yet it was difficult just like the first time.

She proceeded to wheel out of the room but came to an abrupt halt when she heard her name. She looked up at the TV and there stood her sunbae, her rival. Cho Seyeon was standing besides the petite interviewer with her gold medal dangling around her neck. Iseul couldn't help but feel envious as it glistened against the sun.

"Hey Iseul!" Cho Seyeon waved at the camera. "I hope you are watching this. But I wouldn't be surprised if you aren't. As a fellow athlete, I can understand and feel so much sympathy for you due to the position you are in right now. My heart goes out for you and I really wish for a fast recovery. You are a young person with so much potential, if there is one person who should replace my title as a legend, I want them to be you. Please come back and let's race again."

Iseul was too busy listening to her to notice a tear snaking down her cheek. She had been gripping the handles of the chair so tight, her knuckles had paled and blisters begun to form on her palms.

I want to race again. I want to place my feet in those old running shoes again. But I can't.

Despite the largeness of the room, she felt suffocated by what her fate had become. Every night before sleeping, she prayed to the heavens she didn't believe in for some miracles to happen. Then when she woke up to no pair of functioning legs, she had to bite back the urge to tear apart her bandages.

Iseul pushed the chair, but a drawstring bag on the floor was getting dragged along. The strings had tangled with the small wheel and she moved it around to separate herself from the bag. It contained her running shoes which she treasured with all her life until three weeks ago. Now she wanted nothing to do with it, those shoes were no good luck charm to her anymore.

The anger inside was slowly beginning to increase every time she struggled to untangle the bag. She cursed loudly, pulling the drawstring bag with all her strength before dashing it across the room. During the process, it had opened and the shoes fell out with a loud thud.