Chapter 53

Not Edited

News of the royal arrival spread like wildfire. The staffs at Omeed's private residence prepared a warm feast for the poor on Omeed's insistence. Breads and sweets were handed out on the street of Isfahan.

The palace wasn't spared from the festivities. Hafez has left no stone unturned as he had the treasury give out bonuses to servants and eunuchs alike. His benevolent act was lauded by all. He had ordered a feast for ministers and royals from around Isfahan to take in place seven days where the babies will be named.

The consorts brought out their finery wanting to look their best. They feared once again they'll be overshadowed by Omeed and consort Afsoon. Even Asal was trying to make an effort.

The consorts have been visiting Omeed's pavilion all through the day to see the royal babies. With Omeed and her closet friends watching their every moves. Omeed has refused to have anyone make contact with her children until Farrah showed up and all that changed.

Farrah had been so taken by the little princess that she had refused to return to her chamber if she wasn't allowed to hold her. Seeing the sincerity in her request, Omeed yielded and Farrah got the chance no one else got. Zoya could only stare in astonishment as Farrah fawn over the princess.

"I will always love and guide you." Farrah had whisper as the baby slept in her arms. "Even if I am not your mother, I will treat you no different than I will my own child." She promised the sleeping child.

As Asal leaves Omeed's pavilion, she felt the presence of another even though she was being escorted by her maids and eunuchs. Her feet came to an halt as she spoke. "You should all return, I want to be left alone!" She orders her escorts as they bow and withdrew from her presence. "Come out and speak! We are alone." She says calmly.

"Very perspective as expected of a fine consort." Says a voice. "Too bad you are merely a royal noble consort." The voice leaked with sarcasm. She took a deep breath before turning around and coming face to face with a minister.

"Is there any reason why you've been following me for days?" She ask venomously. Asal was irritated enough as it were and this minister wasn't helping matters.

"You knew I've been following you?" It was the minister's turn to sound surprised. "Well since you are intelligent then I will get straight to the point." Asal's eyebrows knitted together at his words as she waits to hear what he had to say to her. "You are probably kicking yourself for missing this one."

Confusion etch on her face as she wonders what he meant. "It was a clean job getting the cat to help and take responsibility for the task the first time." The minister says emotionlessly as Asal stiffens. "Don't worry you and I both want similar things." He laughs.

"What are you---what are you talking about." Asal stutters as she stumbles backward. "I have no idea what you mean."

"Calm down consort Asal, like I said we are both on the same side. Now no need to act innocently in front of me." He says with seriousness. "It was a clever idea the first time but you missed this one. As a result we now have two bastards." His nostril flared in anger as he spoke.

Asal couldn't deny her involvement any longer. "How much would you like to keep your mouth sealed?" She says with a look of haughty disdain. "Hurry up I have no time and importance for your gibberish." The minister laughs and with a smug look he says.

"If anything, I will be the one paying you. You are nothing but a simple 'toad wanting to eat the meat of a swan'." His words struck a cord in Asal's heart as the meaning to his words became known.

"Do you even understand what I mean?" He asks her mockingly. "It means you are conveting something you don't deserve. Something beyond your reach." He laughed crudely as she turns to walk away.