23- The Yule Ball Part 2

HARRY'S POV

I followed Ron's gaze as Hermione was lead by Viktor off the dance floor. He held her hand to his lips and kissed it, then rushed off. Hermione spun around with her hands on her head, obviously not believing this was all real. I couldn't help but smile at my best friend. I was really proud of Hermione. I knew she had a date all along, I mean she's exceedingly bright and absolutely gorgeous. We were close last year, just us, not Ron. Of course we were all best friends, only Hermione and I were closer than her and Ron. I didn't quite understand my feelings until the end of last year when we went back in time together.

I believe I may have had a small crush on Hermione.

My thoughts drifted to holding her small, cold hand when we were running around on the Hogwarts grounds, trying not to be seen by us, and wrapping myself around her to shield her when professor Lupin had turned into a werewolf and was about to kill us. The crush only lasted until I realized, because I reminded myself she was my best friend, and like a sister to me. I never told Ron or Hermione, and I probably never would. Besides, I saw it last year and I'm seeing it even more this year: I'm pretty sure Ron fancies Hermione. I thought the same about Hermione with Ron, until just now when I saw her with Viktor Krum.

Hermione noticed me smiling at her, and dashed over to me, her heels clicking against the flooring.

"Hot, isn't it?" She exhaled with a smile on her face. "Viktor's gone to get drinks, would care to join us?" She asked, flinging a piece of her curled brown hair out of her eyes. Just as I was about to agree, Ron answered for the both of us.

"No, we would not care to join you and Viktor," Ron said his name with disgust, earning a rather confused look from Hermione.

"What's got your wand in a knot?' Hermione muttered to Ron, who was looking at the stage with his arms folded again. I tried to tell him to back off with my eyes, but he didn't seem to get my message.

"He's a Durmstrang, you're fraternizing with the enemy." Ron huffed and crossed his arms again.

"The enemy?" Hermione scoffed. Ron was gonna get it now. "Who was it wanting his autograph?" She spat. Ron went pale, he knew she was right. "Besides, the whole point of the tournament is... international... magical... cooperation, to make friends." She said. She was right. Ron, of course, was not satisfied.

"I think he's got a bit more than friendship on his mind." Hermione bubbled with anger, and she had a right too. Ron was out of line, it was her choice on who to bring, and she accepted Viktor's invitation. If Ron wanted to bring her, he should have asked. Hermione opened her mouth to say more, but spotted Viktor with 2 cups and gave him a sweet smile, I assumed only to upset Ron further and sashayed off.

I decided I didn't want to sit there all night, so while Ron was busy looking at Ginny or Hermione, I snuck off. I ran until I was outside the Great Hall. Multiple couples were out in the foyer, kissing or talking. I decided to walk down the hall Hailey had rushed down. It was empty and peaceful. That was until I heard something. I identified it as footsteps, the same clacking Hermione's heels made against the flooring. I peeked my head around the corner and saw Hailey's raven black curls bounce around as she paced. She saw me and jumped, scared.

"Oh, Harry! It's just you!" She put a hand to her chest and I walked towards her. "You haven't seen Draco, have you?" She whispered and poked her head around the corner.

"No, why? I thought he was with you?" I questioned.

"No! Well, I mean he was but, I snuck away! I had too! I needed a break from his constant displays of affection!" She put a hand to her forehead. I felt bad for her, she was obviously stressed.