Chapter 37 - Miracles

Early update my friends! I start writing for our Valentine fics later, to be shared with all of you on February 14. Hope you can all look forward to that.

As for now, ficMaine will be going home soon! And when she does, Richard has a surprise for her which I won't share with you yet. The baby and Richard are on their way home, but while it is an emotional farewell, there is now purpose in Maine's work, she has reasons to finish immediately and go home.

By the way, I'm accepting ideas and prompts for my next story. I already have an idea but I'd also like to try getting ideas from you, so please send me your prompts! Who knows, we can make an anthology or a series out of it :)

Enjoy my dears, and please send me your thoughts as always :) 

 From up above I heard 
The angels sing to me these words.
And sometimes in your eyes 
I see the beauty in the world.

Oh, now I'm floating so high.
I blossom and die.
Send your storm and your lightning to strike 
Me between the eyes,
Eyes  

They were at Heathrow airport, Maine carrying Celeste for the last time. Celeste was fretting, she refused to be carried by Richard and Yaya Pearl, she had her arms wrapped tightly around Maine's neck.

"Looks like Celeste wants to stay with you," Richard said with a sad smile. He and Maine had a wonderful time together, making up for all the longing and sad days spent apart. They had time to talk about the things that mattered to them both, they got to say all the things they wanted to say to each other.

"Jay, ang galing talaga ni God. When I met you, I wasn't looking for a boyfriend, nor was I in a sad point of my life. But that feeling when you put your arms around me, to protect me from the people scrambling around, I realized it was nice to have someone take care of me. Sana hindi na tayo magkahiwalay."

"Ang galing diba? I could have helped someone else, I could have just found a good place for me alone. But that concert became more special to me because of you."

"I can't believe we're getting married soon."

"I can. I prayed so hard for this, Maine. I was so afraid you'd meet someone here, someone who has the same interests, yung mas bagay sayo. I'm just a simple guy, I don't have any remarkable accomplishments. Mahal lang kita. That's all I can offer."

"Di rin. You're good in bed."

"Grabe siya. Sinira mo yung moment. Pero seriously, magaling ako?"

"Oo naman. Hey, your hands, babe. Kung saan na naman humahawak. Babe, oooohhh."

Maine's tears were already falling, but she smiled at the memory of their last night together. She tried so hard to keep her sadness locked inside but she couldn't, Richard and Celeste were going back home without her, and she would be spending lonely days ahead again.

"Celeste, baby girl, mommy loves you sooo much. I will miss you baby." She kisses Celeste repeatedly, loving the feel of her soft and warm body against her chest, the wet kiss Celeste planted on her mouth.

"Mamamamama......." Celeste chanted.

"Jay! Did you hear that? Baby, say mama again."

"Mamam.....mamamama...."

"Sige po yaya, pakikuha na po si Celeste, kausapin ko lang si Maine."

With the bribe of her squeeze toy, Celeste finally went with yaya, giving Richard and Maine the chance to say their goodbyes. Richard wraps his arms around Maine, allowing himself to hold her close, smell her sweet scent one last time. His hands trace her arms, her back, then back to her arms again,traveling up her elegant shoulders and stopping at the sides of her face.

"I can't wait till you come home, Maine. I want to marry you as soon as you're back. If it's not too much to ask, sakin ka na umuwi pagbalik mo. Please?"

"Sige. Have a safe flight, babe. Thank you for coming here, this is my best Christmas ever. I love you, Jay."

"I love you too." He kissed her lips for the last time, their mouths lingering, refusing to let go.

"I'll miss you.....I don't know how I'll survive but I will try my best, love. Gusto ko na umuwi sayo."

"I will call you as soon as we arrive. Babe, stay away from Cedric ha."

"Don't worry about him, Jay. I'm wearing your ring, I'm yours, all of me."

"Konting tiis na lang, Maine. Goodbye for now."

She watched them through the blur of her tears, her little family walking away from her.

-----

March 2019

She was coming home soon. He knew because Richard told him about it. He also knew she was engaged to Richard and he had to admit that there was still a tiny bit of pain in his heart that she was really not meant for him.

It's not that Kyle was still pining for her, far from it. Trish made good on her promise, she did make him fall in love with her, and he was thankful for that fateful day she asked him out to dinner. They were living together now, and it would only be a matter of time before he would make a bold move, and ask Trish to be his wife.

But Maine will always be special to him. There were still so many unresolved issues between them, things he wanted to clear with her when she came back. She never called or messaged him all this time and that stung, but he imagined she felt it awkward to still do the things she used to do, without worrying that he might put wrong meaning into her actions. He could still remember their last conversation before she left for London.

They were in their office, just finished meeting with their staff and writers, all of whom have already stepped out of their conference room to go home. She approached him and sat a seat apart, making him feel disgust for himself after kissing her, because now she was always wary of him.

"Kyle......I'm leaving. I'm having my book published."

"When will you be back?"

"I don't know yet. Even if I did, I don't know if I still should come back here, after what happened between us."

He looked at her and saw her struggle not to cry. Before, he would readily put his arms around her, but that was no longer possible now.  it would hurt to see her flinch or push his arms away to reject his offer of comfort.

"Why, Kyle? Why did you have to do that? You were my sanctuary, my safehouse."

"Maine....I'm so sorry. I kept it all in for so long....I know I was out of line, I'm sorry."

"I don't know if we'll ever go back to what we used to be. I liked what we had. I felt so safe with you." She wiped the tears on her cheeks, looking at him sadly.

"But I guess it's just as well. You have Trish now. I don't want her to see me as a threat. I want you to be happy with her."

True enough, he was happy with Trish. He loved her, felt so lucky to have her in his life. Yet, sometimes when he was alone, Maine would creep into his thoughts, and he would miss the old days when it was so easy for her just to show up in his place and spend the night.

Maybe he just missed their friendship. Or maybe she was the one that got away, that one person everyone wonders about, the "what if" that creeps into idle thoughts once in a while. But for Kyle, things will be different. He wanted to settle this once and for all. He wanted to see Maine, talk to her one more time when she comes back. He wanted to be fair to Trish and dispel Maine's shadow over their relationship.

For now, his beautiful girlfriend awaits, to give him the sweetest love he feels he doesn't deserve.