26. Manipulating Fear

Chapter (26) - Manipulating Fear

Avoiding them was not easy. They kept sending me texts, trying to either threaten me or urge me to work for them. Their men were always present wherever I was. They did not bother to hide that they were watching me. Those men were everywhere, wherever I was they kept sending me horrid looks.

On the other side, I wasn’t helping in this either. I was terribly afraid of what they might do. Their words stuck to my mind, and I couldn’t let go of them: you’ll regret this, Horan. I couldn’t sleep because of those words. I couldn’t stop thinking of how I could regret it, what would make them say that, how they would make me regret it.

I was getting out of the studio when I saw one of their men. I didn’t really react to it, at least physically. I was mentally having a thought fight: how would I regret it? Until I saw the man coming to me. He was sending glares that said that I should act casually or else I would be screwed. Maybe one of the boys was present, and I too didn’t want them to know who he was.

“Sean, how ya doin’, buddy?” I tried to sound casual.

“Follow me, Horan,” he said shortly and got into the car in front of mine.

I obeyed. Now what? They were threatening me all the time. Why would they want me? They had already ordered me to kill the man, and they warned me again. But in both situations, I refused. And if they kept warning me till next year, I would also be refusing. There was no way in hell I was doing it.

We arrived at a coffee shop, which I would normally call nice, but then I saw it as dreadful. Of course I found Steven there, present with the other jerk. I was motioned to sit at the same table they were at, but Sean headed to another table near us.

“Horan, this is the last warning,” Steven greeted me in a very welcoming way.

“I said I’m not doing it. You don’t need to warn me.”

Yes, I was awfully frightened. Yes, I was dying to know what the regret was that they were talking about. However, that didn’t change the fact that I despised them. Heck, I was disgusted of them. And, I was standing for my beliefs. Niall Horan would not kill, motherfuckers.

“That’s your girlfriend, right?”

I saw Jack looking at my phone’s lock screen. It was a picture of me and Hanya. I felt angry that he was talking about Hanya. Such filthy eyes shouldn’t even see her beautiful face. Such an arsehole should not be honored to speak about her.

“Yes,” I answered with a despising look on my face, and he smirked.

“You still on your opinion?” Steven said.

“Yes. I said I’m not doing it,” I insisted. “Keep asking me this till next year, and I would not change my mind.”

“Fine then. This is your last chance.” He shrugged like he didn’t care.

I left to my flat, thinking about what they said. It was awful to not be able to figure out something that bothered me. I wished I was smart enough to find an answer to all the buzzing, bothering questions in my head.

I received a text from them minutes after I reached my place.

Take care of your loved ones to not let them pay for your mistakes.

And, my fear increased. What was that? Why were they saying that? What would make them talk about my loved ones? They only have this contact with me. They have nothing to do with whom I love, and they have no authority to even talk about them.