28. Alive

Chapter (28) - Alive

A doctor and a nurse are present in Hanya’s room, smiling and sorting things I don’t understand out. Lily has come to my side (she was on Hanya’s right side) and started squeezing my arm, producing weird squeaks and moving in a very awkward way to express her happiness that obviously cannot be maintained.

My happiness however, I bet, is more different than the others in the room. Lily was happy because her best friend woke up; the doctor and the nurse are happy because Hanya is their job and this proves their success. I, however, felt alive. For the first time in so long, my heart was back into place, pumping blood as regularly as it should do and every single cell of me felt alive. It feels fresh, and that is a feeling I had not felt in so long.

Lily and I both take Hanya cannula-free hand as gently as we can. Her lids flutter like she’s trying to blink but unable to. I feel the same ache I had when I woke two months ago, and know it must be even harder for her considering that her injuries were much worse than mine. Weird, isn’t it? I am the one aimed to be hurt, but instead Hanya is way more hurt than I am. Target mistaken.

One of her eyes is almost open, but she is still fighting to blink and get them both wide open. I know it’s hurting her as hell, and I don’t want her hurt.

“Shh, honey, relax … relax,” I say in my softest and smoothest way.

I don’t know on what basis am I saying that. So far, it’s not sure that she has forgiven me. Lily said she would, but no matter how close Lily is to Hanya, she might be wrong. Maybe there are things Lily too doesn’t know about Hanya. Who knows? Maybe Hanya has never told Lily much about our relationship that might lead Lily to expect wrongly.

Her hand moves in ours. I feel them trying to hold on, but it’s clear that her strength is zero. She can’t even move it properly.

“Congratulations! Miss Bruce is now alright. Don’t exhaust her please. Do not let her talk or move much –” The doctor said but Lily cut him off rushing.

“Doctor, there are so many things Hanya has to talk about now, and they can’t be delayed,” Lily said urgently.

“Is it too emotional?” The doctor asked and we both nodded. She meant the explanations I’m getting and giving, right? This is not something that can be postponed.

“Then let be just the necessary things, please. Once you think she’s reaching a limit, stop talking immediately. Her psychology is so important,” the doctor said, clearly not liking it. Then he left.

Hanya’s parents and brother came in after him. They looked so desperate and happy. Heck, sure they did. Their daughter just woke up for God’s sake. How can they not be happy? I leave them together, having some quality family time I know they don’t have much. However, when Hanya talks they don’t like what she says.

“Niall,” Hanya calls ever so lowly.

My heart jumps in extreme happiness. She called my name. It was the first thing she said. I’m on her mind. But that might suck. I may be on her mind because she’s mad at me for what I did to her. Can’t this mind stop overthinking a bit? Because it seriously annoys me that every time I get a good thought, it is brutally murdered by a stupidly curious buzzing question.

I lean over to be closer to her, saying a low yes in case she was mad. She tries to sit up but I push her back gently. I know this is hurting so bad. I know how she is feeling. I have experienced this pain, and it’s no good; it’s not for people as gentle as Hanya is.

I’m so close to her that I can see her wide eyes open in pain. Pain is clear in every single movement she does, in every single breath she takes. I look her right in the eyes, grateful that I can see her beautiful eyes open again staring right back into mine. There was never a moment when I was happier than this.