Chapter 35

Sharna slept until Peta and her parents came to visit. They brought along Emma, Sasha and Artem. They were a couple of people who really wanted to know how she was doing and who wanted to see her in person. When the visitors entered Sharna was still sleeping and Val was sitting on a chair beside her bed. He had a book in his hands, but everybody could immediately see he wasn’t reading, but he was looking at his girlfriend.

When he saw them enter, he got up and hugged Emma, Sasha and Artem. He hadn’t seen them for some time and really missed them. Meanwhile Sharna’s parents and Peta walked towards the bed, where Sharna was still sleeping.
“Did she have a tough night?”
“No, on the contrary, she slept amazing. But this morning she got out of bed and took a shower and she was exhausted after that. But I think she would love to see you all.”

Sharna’s mother got to the bed and woke her daughter. And indeed she was happy to see them. The moment she saw some of her friends were in the room, Sharna was fully awake. She hugged the two boys first and then Emma and Sharna hugged each other.

They have known each other for a long time. Emma started to cry when they hugged.
“Don’t cry,” Sharna said.
“I just hate seeing you like this, lying in a hospital bed, bruised.”
“Don’t worry too much, I’m getting better every day.”

When Emma let go, she still had tears in her eyes, but it was less than before. They talked the rest of the morning, in the beginning there was a bit of tension. Emma, Sasha and Artem sometimes didn’t know what to say, but when the conversation continued, it got better and eventually they were all laughing.

When it was almost time for lunch, the men went downstairs to get lunch for all of them.
“I have a question, had Val left your room?” All the girls started laughing and Sharna answered: “He left one afternoon…” And everybody started laughing even more.

The girls talked a bit more, until Sharna’s mother finally felt it was the right moment to ask the question she had been wanting to ask: “How was it, taking the shower this morning?”
“The walking went a lot better than last time. I felt a lot stronger and Val was able to help. The undressing part was the hardest. I don’t want to look at the bruises, cause it makes me feel weak. But Val helped me get over it and helped me get under the shower.”

Before any could ask anything else the boys came back with the food. Sitting together around Sharna’s bed, everybody enjoined the food. After lunch Sharna had another appointment with her therapist and that meant everybody had to leave. Everybody went home again and Sharna agreed she would call when she was ready.

Again it took a couple of hours before Sharna called them. This time only Val got back to the hospital. Maks and Peta were going out on date, after encouragement from Sharna and her parents decided they would go to bed early on night, still not really recovered from the jetlag.

When Val entered Sharna’s room she was sleeping. She was sleeping peacefully and when Val looked at Sharna he saw the most beautiful girl in the world. Every time he saw her he fell a little bit more in love. He sat down next to Sharna on his usual chair and watched her. Before this, he could barely sit for longer than five minutes, but when he sat down on the chair watching his girlfriend, he could sit down for hours.

It was almost time for dinner, when he decided to wake Sharna. He knew she was still tired a lot, because of a lack of sleep and her body still needing energy to recover, but if she slept too much during the day, she wouldn’t be able to sleep at night. He got up from his chair and sat down at the bed. He kissed her on her head and whispered her name.

“Sharna. Wake up babe, it is almost time for dinner.” He kissed her again when she started to stir.
“Hello, babe.” He said when she opened her eyes.
“Did you sleep well?”
“Yes, I did. I was so tired after my conversation with the therapist, so I really needed the sleep.”
“How was the conversation?”
“It went really well again, he would let me talk and sometimes asked me some questions. But he said that the next time, he would ask me some more difficult questions and I don’t know yet what to expect.”
“Just let it happen and you’ll see where it goes from there.”

“You are amazing, you know that right.” He kissed her again, but this time on her lips. She answered the kiss and they stayed together.
“You know they will bring dinner in a couple of minutes, what if we sat down on the chair and ate together. It can be our date night.”

Sharna thought about it for a second, but then said: “Yes, I can at least try it.”
“That’s what I mean.”

Val hadn’t completed the sentence when a nurse brought in their dinner. They had seen Val arrived and brought him a meal as well. They put one down on the table near the window and the nurse wanted to put the other one on the side table beside Sharna’s bed when Val said.
“You can put them both on the table.”
The nurse looked at Sharna and she nodded. The nurse put them both on the table and left.

Sharna sat up and Val stood up next to the bed. Sharna put her legs over the side of her bed and he helped her on her feet. Sharna was still a little wobbly on her feet, but it was only a couple of steps to the chair. She sat down and he pushed her closer to the table. He sat down across of her and removed the lit from the meals. It was nothing special, but being able to sit across his girlfriend and have dinner with her was more than enough for now.

Sitting down on a chair wasn’t the most comfortable thing for her at the moment. She was still hurting and the chair was hard. But when she looked up she saw her boyfriend, and they were having dinner together, most of the pain disappeared.

They were eating in silence for a while and at one point Val took Sharna’s hand and they hold hands while eating their desserts. After dinner Val and Sharna were still holding hands and looking at each other into their eyes.

Sharna smiled at Val: “Can you get me back to bed?”
“Do you want me to help you up?”
“No, can you carry me to bed?” Val got up and moved the chair away from the table. He lifted her from her chair and helped her to bed. When he laid her down, Sharna held onto him.
“Can you join me?”

Val looked at Sharna with surprise, he didn’t expect this question from her already. He thought she wasn’t ready yet. But she seemed sure about it. Sharna was lying down and moved over. Val still wasn’t convinced.
“Val, I’m sure. You’re clothed, I’m clothed and I love you and I’m ready for you or at least for some time. If it doesn’t feel comfortable, I’ll tell you.”

He was finally convinced and he joined her in her hospital bed. They lay next to each other for a couple of minutes, only the sides of their bodies touching.

“How are you feeling?”
“This feels good.”
“Can I wrap my arm around you?”
“Yes, you can.” Sharna lifted her head and Val put her arm around her.
Sharna moved a little closer and put her head on his shoulder, close to his head.

“This feels really good,” Val said.
“I agree.” Sharna’s eyes slowly closed and she fell asleep. Val was holding his girlfriend and this was the first time he really felt she would be okay. And no matter how long it would take. She would always trust him and love him and eventually they would through this.