Chapter 37

The days passed by and Sharna was healing very quickly. She had less nightmares and if she had one, Val was able to help her. The therapy had really helped Sharna and she had visited Marilyn once again. It was hard and difficult, but every time she was done, she felt better. On top of that she also talked a lot with Val. He was the best support anyone could ask for. He made sure she got out of bed on her bad days and he would talk to her every single time she needed it.

It was halfway through August when the dreaded phone call came. The producers from Dancing with the Stars wanted to know if their most recent champion would join the season and if not what they should tell the audience. Sharna knew that question would definitely come, but she wasn’t sure if she was ready for it.

After the phone call she and Val talked about it. He never pushed her to do anything. They continued talking, but Sharna still wasn’t sure, so she also talked with her parents and Peta.

All of them said it would be Sharna’s own decision and none of them pushed her to make one. Sharna gave herself an extra day to think about and decided she would also talk about it with her therapist, who she would see the next day, before she would make a decision.

The next day Marilyn and Sharna talked about the upcoming season and whether or not Sharna should do it. Sharna was talking about what was holding her back from doing it, but she didn’t come with real arguments, so Marilyn interrupted her.

“The only real argument I hear is that you are not being sure about it. So I think the only real argument is fear. Which is a really honest argument and a real one. But I think the real question is, what are you afraid of?”

It was silent for a couple of minutes, while Sharna had time to think about the answer and finally Sharna said something.

“I’m afraid of people finding out what happened and I’m afraid I might have trust issues with my partner. Which is one of the most important things.”
“Well, let’s start with the first one. How do you stop people from finding out?”

“I don’t want people to see the bruises or to know I’m raped. But when I look in the mirror, I know the bruises are almost gone and nobody will know about the rape if I don’t tell anyone.”

“So does that take away the fear a little?”
“Yes, talking about it makes seem less big and I feel like it is less of a fear.”

“Let’s talk about the second one then. You were afraid of not trusting people. How do you think you’ll be able to start to trust people?” Sharna was quiet again after that question, not knowing what she was thinking. After a couple of minutes Marilyn said: “How was it after you just woke up in the hospital, when your friends were beside your bed?”

“I was scared… I was scared that he was still in the room or that he would get into the room.”
“And how did you become less scared?”
“Because of my parents, Val and Peta. They helped me and every time I was scared they helped me.”
“And what do you think they will do during the show?”
“They will still be with me… And they will support me.”
“And now, let’s get back to the real question. You’re afraid you might have trust issues with your partner.”

The other questions had helped her and Sharna was able to answer it.
“I’ll try it and I know there will be many people who have my back. And if I talk with the producers, I think I will be able to arrange some possibilities and make sure that they will know that if I break down in rehearsals, they won’t show it on the show. And if Val and Peta are at the studio’s with me. They can help me.”
Marilyn smiled at Sharna and said: “I think that you just answered it for yourself.”

Sharna got home and Val was waiting for her. Her parents were out and Peta and Maks were on a date. Sharna got home and kissed Val.

“I’m doing the show next season.” Val took Sharna’s head between his hands and looked her into her eyes.
“I knew you would.”

When Sharna’s parents got back home from their trip in LA, Sharna told them the news. Also her parents said they knew that she was going to it. After dinner, when everybody was sitting at the table, her parents had some news.
“We are going back to Australia. We want a check-up for your dad and when you are doing the show again, next season we come to visit you and see you at the show. I hopefully see you win it again. But how are you feeling about it?”

Sharna looked at her parents and saw they had a hard time telling this to her. They didn’t want to leave their only daughter nor did they want to disappoint her.
“I think that is a good idea. I will definitely miss you guys. But I think I would love it if you could see the show one day. And you don’t have to be sorry for leaving. I love you guys for coming over and I completely understand that you would want to go back for the doctor in Australia, because they know you. And once again, don’t feel sorry.”

Sharna stood up and gave her parents a hug, trying to tell them how much she loved them with this hug and her parents tried to answer this.

That evening they booked their plane flights back home. They took a flight that would leave next evening. Sharna and Val brought them to the airport and Sharna shed a few tears when she said goodbye to them. But the idea of seeing them again during the show, which was not to long away, helped them both through it. While Sharna was hugging her mother. Sharna’s dad went over to Val and had a conversation with him and Sharna saw it from the corner of her eyes.

When her parents left to get to their plane and Sharna and Val walked back to the car.
“What did you talk about?” Sharna asked.
“He told me that I should take care of you while they were away and that they approved of me as your boyfriend.”
“He really said that?”
“He really did and I must say I will listen to you and I will take care of you.”