Chapter 7

Notes from Author: I AM SO SORRY! I was stuck in a place with no wifi. Just got back today so please do not behead me....I'm pretty attached to it. Alright I'll just post the chapter.

This chapter is based off Exodus 8

 ________________________________________________________________________ 

Chapter seven

After seven days of praying and waiting on the Lord, God spoke to me.

“Go to Pharaoh and say to him, let my people go, so that we can worship the Lord. If you defy God, He will send frogs to plague your land. Frogs will come out of theNileand enter into your palace. They will enter into your homes, in your bedrooms, on your beds, into your ovens; they will be on your people, your officers, and on you.”

“Yes, Lord.” I said to God, wondering what that would look like, having green, slimy frogs hopping and croaking everywhere. Upon seeing the Nile turn red, and how Pharaoh reacted, I now was ready for it all and smiled, knowing the Lord would get us through it. “Let your will be done.”

“Once this has been done,” God continued, “tell your brother Aaron, to stretch his hand that is holding the staff you entrusted him with. Tell him to cast the staff over the Nile and all the ponds and streams of Egypt. Frogs will come and then cover the land.”

Frogs covering all of Egypt, this ought to get Pharaoh’s attention. Putting my head down, I shook my head in frustration. When was all this going to end? When was Pharaoh going to stop his prideful stupidity and come to his senses?

I gently sat down on the hot, dusty ground, and was suddenly consumed by disappointment. How could he let this happen? I knew that stubborn man I once called brother, he would never give up. He was much too prideful.

Suddenly I remembered how God had said something about him not letting His oldest son go. Was God going to kill Pharaoh’s son? Did he mean literally kill Ramses’ son? Something told me He did. Why couldn’t that arrogant fool not understand what is happening and what is about to happen?

“Moses?” Aaron called to me. He had apparently heard my mutterings and found me in this state of distress. “What’s wrong? Why are you like this?” he asked is a worrisome tone.

“Nothing for you to worry about, brother” I assured him, standing up and wiping off the dust that had gathered on my tunic. “Just grieved, I continued, thinking about how this will all end. How much pain and suffering there will be at the place I once called home, before my brother finally understands.”

“It was my home too you know.” Aaron stated, without a smile or the joy he usually possesses. “He will have every chance to do what God has commanded. We can not grieve what has not happened.” He put his arm around my shoulder and smiled tight lipped. “So cheer up brother.”

I chuckled. What would I do without my brother?

“Now,” Aaron questioned, “has the Lord said anything yet? I’m becoming tired of doing nothing.”

I nodded and started to walk towards the donkey. “The Lord has. Are you ready to speak to Pharaoh again?”

He started to quicken his pace, catching up to me, and then running past me catching his second wind.

“Finally!” he called over his shoulder while he ran, full of joy. “Thank God the wait is over.”

“Slow down you old man!” Moses yelled back, grinning from ear to ear, “Before you hurt yourself.”

I caught up to him where he had tied the donkey to a dry tree on the other side of our tent. In his eagerness to obey he was already starting to pack food and other things we needed, tossing open my sack I helped.

“Your no baby lamb yourself, Moses.” Aaron retorted. “So what will be the plague this time? Turning his cattle into dust?”

“Nope,” I smiled at my brother, still grabbing things we needed. “Frogs… the Lord said He is going to cover all of Egypt with frogs.”

“Fun.” he said sarcastically “I wonder how many of these wonders God is going to cast on Egypt.”

“Until he lets our people go.” I repeated what had already been said by the Lord and the both of us. “Are you ready to go?”

Aaron jumped on the back of the donkey and started out without a word, just a simple nod. I quickly told my family we were going and caught up to Aaron.

“Are you going to let me ride?” I asked.

“Remember, Moses” Aaron smirked, “I’m an old man. I don’t have the energy you have.”

I took the staff that was strapped onto the donkey and started walking with it. I knew better than to argue that I was only three years younger than him.

“Fine old man.” I said with mild annoyance, knowing how far it was to where Pharaoh lived. “But I get to ride on the way back.”

“Fair enough.” He agreed with a gestured handshake.

We traveled the rest of the way on the hot, dusty trail in silence. Once we were yet again at Pharaoh’s doors, we asked the guards to let us in. Neither of them complained or refused to let us in. They just mocked us by begging for us not to turn them into rats or something, and then warned Ramses we were here…again.

“Moses.” The king of Egypt said flatly, without reflecting any emotion. Then with a snap of his fingers and the wave of his hand, covered in mostly different riches than when I last saw him, the room was emptied of people.

“I grow weary of seeing your dust covered face, Moses.” He sighed. Not even bothering to look up at us or to speak loud enough so we could hear without straining our ears. “When will you just leave me alone? Go bother some other ruler of some other nation if you must, but leave me alone.”

I stuttered, “I-I’ll leave you alone when you f-free my p-pe-“

“People.” He interrupted. “I know you stammering fool. I’ve heard you speak those dreadful words over and over again.”

Aaron announced, “And we will until you do so, Pharaoh!”

He raised his down turned head and looked directly at Aaron, eyes narrowing. “I am not talking to you, snake charmer’s brother. I am speaking to the cause of all the grief in my fine land.”

Ramses turned to me and spoke. “What are you and your god going to do this time? Turn my sun dark? Well,” He questioned raising his eyebrows?

“God’s going to c-cover all of E-Egypt with f-frogs.” I answered.

“Frogs” he repeated. “Frogs” He rested his head on his hands in contemplation.

“Moses, answer a question for me, Pharaoh uttered.”

“Y-yes?” I asked puzzled and perplexed at what the question could be, or the fact he would even ask me a question.

“Why do the gods not stop you? Not strike the two of you down?”

“B-because the g-gods you believe in d-do-d aren’t real.”

Just as I finished the sentence the king of Egypt stood straight up, his face burning red with anger and his eyes turning cold. “Blasphemy!” He roared. “Leave me you two blaspheme spreading Israelites!”

“A-as you wish, P-pharaoh.” Both Aaron and I nodded in a show of reverence, turned our backs to him, and left the giant room we had been in several times now.

“That went well,” Aaron joked.

I quickly mounted the donkey and started off to camp. “Indeed.” I handed him the staff once he caught up. “Spread out your arm over the Nile and the streams and ponds. That’s what the Lord told me to tell you.”

He accepted the staff and did just that. Moments later on our way back we saw a few frogs slowly appear.

“How long do you think, until he summons us again, brother?” Aaron asked me.

“Soon,” I answered seeing more frogs appear by the instant… “Quite soon.”