Chapter 9

Author's Notes: I know I say the same old same old about this but I feel its important you know where to find this. Also, in case you haven't noticed, I'm trying to stretch this. It used to be one chapter of Exodus equals one chapter of The Walk. Look closely, however, and this is my THIRD chapter from chapter 8 of Exodus....and odds are I'll use this chapter at least two more times before I go to chapter 9.

Anyways, THANK YOU! Guys it means a lot for you to have stuck with me all this way. I hope your totally hooked like a fish on a fishing hook and can't wait for more. :) If not that's cool too....I'll shut my mouth now and give you the chapter you came here to read.

__________________________________________________________________________

Chapter nine

I raised my hand to my brow, gazing into the distance. The sunset was so brilliant tonight I had to squint as tears started to well up sting my eyes. Closing my eyelids I did not see the familiar blackness as I usually do, but rather the radiant burst of light streaming through coloring my world a vivid red-orange huge.

"Beautiful." I said to myself, satisfied at God’s handiwork. Sitting on a rock, basking in the evening sun I thought to myself, who couldn't love the sun that the Lord created? Even in the desert where at times I wished it would disappear I still enjoyed it immensely, especially at dusk. 

Suddenly the sun went dark. My eyes were no longer seeing vivid red as they had before, but a darkened and dull shade of burgundy, almost fully black. I opened my eyes to see where the sun had gone. Had it set already? No, that would be too fast, it was mostly blocked by something in the distance.

I stood up, again raised my hand to my forehead and squinted to see. It was something, moving closer. All I could see was dust flying away after something...a horse perhaps? It was hard to make out…I kept looking for a moment or two longer, until I saw it fully. 

It was indeed a horse, carrying its rider; an Egyptian guard from the looks of it. The horse and its rider soon came to stop right in front me, kicking dust in my face as it came to an abrupt halt. I turned my head to spit dust from my mouth and wipe it from my eyes as he spoke.

"Pharaoh commands your presence at his palace." he informed me with an air of superiority.

"What?" I asked, only paying a half attention to him, busy spitting and briskly running my hand through my hair, both in attempts to remove the dust. 

"He commands you to return to him." He scolded me sternly, his head moving side from side as he slowly said each of the words, "Immediately."

"Commands?" I asked him now using my hands to get the dust off my sleeves and torso. "Why does my brother command my presence?" I asked, already knowing the answer.

"Frogs are over running Egypt." he told me. "Pharaoh believes you can get rid of them."

"He does, does he?" I asked, finally looking at the man with a final rub at the corners of my mouth, still crunching dirt while I spoke. "Can't your sorcerers do this with their dark arts?"

His face went flat as he replied slowly, "They were unable."

I nodded my head a few times, more for myself than for him. "I see." I said, trying to keep a straight face. "They failed."

"Pharaoh ordered me to drag you in by the neck, if you won't come under your own free will." he said, leaving behind the earlier topic. 

"Don't worry." I told him with a simple smile. "My God will do what yours can not. Now leave me. I shall be on my way shortly."