Chapter 16

Author's notes: Based off of Exodus 9

I apologize for the short chapter.

PLEASE comment and vote. It really does help improve my writing and makes the release of chapters more often. Thank you and have a good day! :D 

My jaw dropped, shocked. Moses had become more confident in their God's strength as I was becoming less confident in myself. I sighed, scratching the back of my neck. I felt a very slight bump when I scratched. 

I looked around and saw that everyone else was doing the same. There must have been more mosquitoes coming from the Nile than usual. I waved my hand, driving everyone out. I have not wanted to be around anyone as of late.

"The next plague you will infect on your people." I whispered out into the room, as if I said it too loud it might be true. Something Moses had said. You will infect on your people. You. Me.

I scratched my head, thinking of what he said. I infect my people, or so he says. Do I really? Is everything that happens my fault? If I let those miserable people go, would everything be better in the future? Would we still be a mighty people without our slaves?

Could I change the way it is in Egypt? Could my might people be even mightier without slaves? I dared so much to even think maybe his God was perhaps stronger than ours.

I shook my head, furious with myself. What is wrong with you Ramses!? Your becoming a weak old man. I dug my fingers into my arm, scratching a itch, not noticing it bled. 

Something made my heart hard. I will not give up the slaves! They are where they belong, under our heel. They helped make this nation great, giving us the ability to be mighty. Our gods were more powerful together than his single God as well, when they chose to be.

Our gods had a reason for this. I snapped my fingers. I knew it. I knew why they were not using their power to stop all of this. They wanted us to grow.

Sometimes something must be burned to kill the weak, so that the strong may have room to grow. They were allowing his God to burn us, to get rid of the weak. Only the strong will remain, and I am strong. I am the strongest of our people.

Maybe Moses's God was one of our gods. I scratched my chin as I thought. Our gods know best, maybe he fooled Moses to think he was the God of the Israelites. Moses was the tool to burn us, help us. Then he would be discarded along with the rest of the weak, and Egypt would grow through this.

Scratching under my crown, I felt that was the answer. That this was for the better and it will soon be  over. I glanced at my arm, shocked it was bloody. I looked at my legs that were beginning to itch. Small red bumps were appearing all over them.

I stood up as I attempted not to itch my legs. I heard the door on my left open and one of my magicians came walking out. "Did Moses call another curse on us?" he dared to ask me.

I walked toward my bed chamber, tired of all of this. All of it! "I don't know what your petty problem is, weakling." I said as the doors opened in front of me, thanks to guards with red spots on them, and walked toward my bed chamber.

I walked fast, wanting to lie down. I scratched the back of my neck again, feeling it had swollen. I pulled my hand back after a slight jab of pain and found yellow puss on it. I gritted my teeth in disgust as I wiped it off on some person walking in my hallway.

Boils, just like that brother of mine said. I couldn't care less if he has a tool for the gods, I thought to myself. He was my enemy. I always defeated my enemies.

I walked into my bedroom chamber and stopped. I turned to a guard who watch attempting to remove a boil on his arm. "What hour is this?" I asked him.

"It is evening, Pharaoh." he answered. "Close to sunset."

I turned into my room, not bothering with even acknowledge his reply. Did I really think that long? Did I seriously spend most of the day thinking? I laid down on my bed, tired. I was ready to rest.

I went to sleep and had another nightmare. I saw Moses, standing so straight, so sure that his answers were the only ones. So proud. "Ramses!" he shouted at me. "Brother! I loved you!"

I was laying on some hot rocks, like coals but much bigger. I reached my hand to him, hoping he would help me from the fire. "Help me." I said, barely hearing myself. "Help me!" I cried louder. "Please."

I saw him crouch down near me. Little shards of fire were coming down all around us now. "I loved you." he told me again. "Your doing this to yourself!" he yelled as he spun in a circle with his arms out, pointing to everything. All the fire raining down, the blackness beyond, the coals I was laying on and he was standing on.

"You have the power to stop it! Do so!" he ordered me. "How?" I ask him, weakly. Burned out.

"Let my peo-" he started.

"No!" I yelled, more reacted. It had became instinct. "No!"

"Then this is your fate." he said, a look of sorrow coming over his face. He looked into the sky, lowering his arms as a giant fiery rock came and crushed everything in sight. 

I woke up, sweat on my face and chest. I panted, trying to regain the breath I had somehow lost. I sat up after a moment, getting out of bed. By the light in my room I assumed, correctly of course, that I had slept through the entire night.

I was growing weary of this, I told myself. This must end. This will end. This will all end soon. And when it does, I told myself myself, everything will become as it should be.