[Sixteen] Confrontation

Mark couldn't lie: Jackson's apartment was depressingly lifeless. Everything was so perfectly placed, so untouched that it seemed like no one even lived there. It seemed odd, and Mark began to suspect that something was up.

"I don't have much to move out. Just some boxes with papers and photos and a suitcase with clothes in it," Jackson told Mark.

"That's all?" Mark followed Jackson into what seemed like his bedroom. It was empty and bare, save for a few boxes against the wall.

"Yeah, I don't have much."

"Having rich parents, you'd think you'd have more stuff," Mark joked, the regret not sinking in for a few moments. He realised his huge mistake, but only after it came out of his mouth.

"I don't care much for that kind of stuff," Jackson mumbled. He shuffled over to his boxes, unable to take his eyes off the ground.

"I mean, I just heard about it. I'm sorry. I shouldn't have joked about it-"

"It's okay. Technically, they're not wrong." Jackson had made a statement that could sound very boastful into one full of bitterness and loneliness, only making Mark more confused.

As the two stacked boxes, Mark tried to break the silence. He awkwardly looked towards Jackson and asked, "Why don't you talk about your family?"

"There's nothing to talk about with them. Your family sounds way more fun, anyway," Jackson half-lied. He loved hearing stories about Mark's family, even if it made him think about his family. Or lack thereof.

"But I've heard nothing about them. Why don't you tell me something?" Mark smiled, almost as if to encourage Jackson to say something. Before Jackson could answer, there was a knock on the door that interrupted them.

The two exchanged a confused glance and simultaneously walked to the front door. Hesitantly and almost cautiously, Jackson reached for the handle. Mark, who was behind him, put a hand on Jackson's shoulder, even though he didn't know why he did it. His hand seemed to move on its own accord, as if it could sense how tense Jackson was.

"Mrs. Kang!" Jackson exclaimed the moment he opened the door. He immediately hugged the woman in front of him while she just stared at Mark over Jackson's shoulder.

"Jackson! I haven't seen you in so long. You've grown so much!" She pulled away and squished Jackson's cheeks. "You're a man now."

"I'm still only in high school." Jackson had a smile brighter than Mark had ever seen before.

"Either way, you'll be all grown up in no time." Her voice dropped as she continued, "Judging by this boy you have here, you're already halfway there."

"It's not like that." Jackson covered his cheeks, which were nearly burning at that point.

"Like I'll believe you." Mrs. Kang made her way over to Mark, sending him a gentle smile. "Sweetie, what's your name?"

"My name is Mark," he responded, his tone both formal and very uncomfortable.

"Nice to meet you. I can already tell you're a sweet boy." She looked Mark up and down, clearly trying to figure out Mark through just one glance. He was a pretty obvious person, not much hidden, so he wouldn't be surprised if she had succeeded.

"Thank you," Mark laughed, rubbing his hand against his neck and giving a sideways glance to Jackson.

"Um, Mrs. Kang, what brings you here? How'd you know I'd be here anyway?" Jackson brought her into the house and closed the door behind her, taking her over to the couch.

"Well, I was just out getting groceries and the doorman told me that you were here. I came here as soon as I could," she explained. She took a quick glance around the room. "Are you moving out?"