Chapter 3 (My New Grandfather)

Blood splattered on the two cars beside me. The Infiltrator flew across my face and onto the concrete behind me. Demetrius was standing twenty feet in front of me. He had a gun in his hand and it facing in the direction of my face. "You killed it," (I was also scared that he was aiming at me too) "or were you aiming for me?" He looked confused and angry, like he wouldn't do something. "You honestly think I was aiming for you? I killed the Infiltrator, not you" he said. I nodded in agreement. "Ok, I trust you." He walked over to me, kind of pacing. "We need to find a way to get to a base, like through transportation. Maybe we could go on an abandoned train?" Maybe. I need to find something. Maybe I could get some shovels to go underground. He could be getting somewhere. Ok, if we go three blocks we could go get a shovel. Then we could go on a train, probably overground because underground is the best spot for Infiltrators to stay. Then we could go to Queens were I know a place that could have an abandoned station were the Infiltrators wouldn't know about. So let's go and find a shovel. "Demetrius, we need a shovel." He looked confused. "Why?" "I have a plan, trust me."

We started down the road to the right, which was filled with debris. It was scary, looking at demented faces covered with debris and crunched up wood and concrete all over the floor. My mom trembled as we walked down to the left (after we had made it to the end of the road). I didn't blame her. It's horrifying watching your whole city being buried alive.

"I can't stand it!" I bellowed. Demetrius put his finger up over his lips and softly said "be quiet." I nodded with a harsh look. "I can't stand to see my whole city crumbled down. I'm sprinting!" He tried to do another "shoo" but I ran in front of him before he could start. It was kind of loud jumping and sprinting over destruction, but, what do you expect? I was rushing over to the next street and the street after that. We were suddenly at the end of the third street. I was glad. I ran into the building next to me. I went to a halt when I saw my grandfathers body on the bookshelf. All the shelves went down into the ground and some were thrown across the room. Surprisingly, my father wasn't bloody. How could he have died if he wasn't bleeding? Disease or age? No, he was thrown across the room which means something killed him. I went over to touch him to feel if there might have been internal bleeding. Nothing. I was very confused that there was nothing. Beep. There was pulse. I pulled his shirt open a little to look at his veins because maybe there was actually bleeding and it was under his jacket. Nothing. Just a black vein, pumping up and down. They've been here already. I needed to get the shovel and fast. I ran over past him into the hallway were he kept his bathrooms. I forgot to mention that this was restaurant so they had two bathrooms, one for men, one for women. I ran past those and into the "employees only" section of the restaurant. There I was were the employers cooked the food in the restaurant. I ran over to secret hideout I had made with the shovel I was looking for. I went in and quickly grabbed the shovel and then rushed out. I ran through the hallway again to run into the debris. I tripped and fell onto the floor, creating a puff of dust that flew on my head, shoulders, hand, legs and feet. I pushed myself up. At that moment I felt a cold, greasy hand touch the bottom of my leg. A shiver ran up my spin. I turned around to only see my grandfathers hand touching me while everything else was still. He smiled.

I ran out the building, carrying my shovel in one hand and wooden stick in the other. "What happened?" My mother asked. "Run!" I answered. I started sprinting while the others just watched. Grandpa ran out and barked like a loud dinosaur. My mom and Demetrius started running around my grandfather. Demetrius grabbed his shotgun from his back and started to shoot at him. "This will by us some time!" He yelled. My mom ran after me while Demetrius still shot at him. My grandpa smashed into the car behind him and Demetrius suddenly ran after us. My mom started to catch up to me while my grandfather just followed all of us. Demetrius overtook my mom then me. He's fast. He ran into a white van on the side of the road. "Get in!" He yelled toward me. I jumped in while my mom was still panting and sprinting for her life. He started the car even though he left my mom. "Wait for her!" "We don't have time!" He turned on the car then moved it quickly.