THREE | Unexpected Confrontations

Today is the day. The dreaded day that she hoped would never come. The day that every teenager wished would never come. The last day of summer. Tomorrow would be Mariah's first day at Riverdale High School and she honestly would rather get hit by a bus than go to that hellhole.

She had planned on spending the last day of summer vacation having fun and being productive. Instead, she found herself lying in bed asleep. Although sleeping was much more preferred than preparing for school.

When she did wake up however, the first thing on her mind was food. After brushing her teeth, she quickly went downstairs, finding her mom in the kitchen washing dishes.

"Good morning mom," Mariah yawned out. Her mother looked up from the dish in her hand and smiled. "Well look who's finally awake," she said. "Did I sleep in?" Mariah asked her mom.

"As a matter of fact you did. Again," Ms. Coleman replied, perplexed. "I'm starting to get worried," she added. "Well excuse me for trying to enjoy my last few days of sleep before I'm back to getting no sleep at all," Mariah said to her mother.

Her mother rolled her eyes, "Stop being so dramatic." She placed the last dish on the rack and dried her hands.

"I'm not being dramatic. Once school starts, I'll get zero sleep and you know it," Mariah said. "Anyways, I made chocolate chip pancakes with bacon and eggs. There's leftovers if you want some," her mother said, changing the subject.

"Of course I want some. I'm hungry," Mariah replied without a second thought. "You're always hungry. And don't get used to me making you breakfast," her mom laughed. Mariah was already shoving eggs into her mouth.

Amara laughed at her daughter again. "Well I'm going to the hospital. I have a surgery in a few hours so I better head out," Amara said to Mariah.

She kissed her daughter on the head before exiting the kitchen. "Have fun!" Mariah called after her mother. Amara Coleman turned around and stuck her tongue out at her daughter before leaving. Mariah laughed a little before continuing to eat her breakfast.

When she was done, she went back to her room and back into her bed. She sat in her bed, under the covers, and on her phone. After a while, Mariah went to take a shower and wash her hair. About an hour later, she called Cheryl.

"Hello?"
"Cheryl I'm bored."
"I'm great! Thanks for asking."
"Hey, I'm serious."
"Well what do you want me to do about it?"
"I don't know. Un-bore me?"
"Sorry, but I'm busy today."
"Busy doing what? Online shopping?"
"If you must know, I'm preparing myself for school tomorrow. You do know we have school right?"
"Ugh! Don't remind me."
"Maybe you should pick out an outfit for tomorrow. I can help you if you want."
"Who picks out their outfit for school the day before? That's weird."
"I'm gonna ignore that comment. Anyway, I gotta go. Talk to you later. And don't forget about cheer tryouts."
"Yeah, yeah, whatever. Bye."

Mariah hung up the phone without waiting for a reply. Groaning loudly, she flopped backwards onto her bed. Soon after, she fell asleep. By the time she woke up, the sun was setting.

"Dammit! I missed lunch!" Mariah said, in frustration. She threw the covers off of her body and walked downstairs into the kitchen. She decided that she'd make herself dinner before remembering that she couldn't cook. She then thought about going to Pop's. It was then that she remembered that she didn't have a car.

"Well this is a predicament," she sighed. Mariah thought about what to do. She couldn't call her mom because she was at work. Cheryl's probably still 'too busy' worrying about school stuff. Hearing her stomach growl, she put on some shoes, grabbed her house keys and wallet, and then left the house. "I'll just walk," she mumbled to herself. "Food is important."