FOUR | Welcome Back To Hell

The sound of her alarm was what woke Mariah up the next morning. Groaning she went to turn it off. It's then that she remembers that she had school today. She pulled herself out of bed and into her bathroom.

She brushed her teeth and then took a shower. When she was done, she got dressed. She made sure to wear something that was simple, but would also make people stop and stare. She had to look good, one; because she wanted to, and two; because Cheryl would murder her if she didn't.

She got dressed in a yellow floral dress and brown boots. She grabbed a brown jacket and slipped it on. She then picked up her black backpack.

After getting dressed, she put on her makeup and did her hair. When she was done, she walked downstairs and to the kitchen, where she expected breakfast to be. Imagine her surprise when she found her mom eating french toast, and none for Mariah.

"Good morning," her mother smiled before continuing to eat her breakfast. Mariah looked at her mother in disbelief.

"Where's my french toast?" She asked. Her mother laughed before replying. "There are eggs in the fridge and you know where the bread and other ingredients are," she answered. Mariah tilted her head and blinked. "Make your own french toast," her mother continued.

"Wow mom, that's cruel," Mariah said, shaking her head. Her mother took a sip of her coffee. "It's not my job to make you breakfast. I'm already taking you to school. What more do you want?" Her mother said.

"Okay, first of all, who else is gonna make me breakfast? And second, you wouldn't have to drive me to school if you got me a car. How am I going to get to school when you have work?" Mariah asked. Amara rolled her eyes at her daughter. "You can make your own damn food. And Cheryl can drive you to school or you could take the bus," she replied.

"No way am I taking the bus, I get claustrophobic. Do you want me to have an anxiety attack? And besides, things would be a lot easier if I had my own car. I already have my license. What's the point of having it if I don't have a car?" Mariah argued. "You haven't had an anxiety attack in two years. And how did we go from talking about breakfast, to me buying you a car?" Her mother questioned.

"That doesn't mean that I won't have one ever again. And it's fate. The universe wants you to get me a car," Mariah said, raising her hands and look up at the ceiling. "Yeah, right. Just make yourself something to eat. You have ten minutes," her mom said, standing up with her coffee and leaving the kitchen. Mariah huffed and went to the pantry and grabbed a bag of pop tarts.

She opened bag and put the pop tarts into the toaster. When they were done, she ate them slowly, trying to lengthen her time at home and not go to school. As she ate, the previous night's events came into her head. She groaned, remembering that she'll most likely see Archie in school. Another confrontation was the last thing she wanted.

"Hey, it's time to go," her mother said, breaking her from her thoughts. With a sigh, Mariah stood from her chair, threw away her trash, and went to grab her school bag. The two Coleman's left the house and walked to the car.

The drive to school was silent. When they arrived, the two stayed in the car. "Do you want me to show you to the office?" Her mother asked her, after a while. "No. I can find it. I'll see you later mom," Mariah replied. She opened the passenger door, preparing to leave. "Alright, have a great day in school," her mom called after her. Mariah scoffed and mumbled incoherently under her breath before closing the door and walking towards the school.

Upon entering the school, she immediately saw a mass of students. Many of them were hugging one other, as if they hadn't seen each other all summer. The again, maybe they hadn't. Mariah tried to maneuver her way through the crowds of people and simultaneously look for the office.