SIXTEEN | The Aftermath

Within the next few days, things between Archie and Mariah had been nothing but awkward. Or at least they would have been if they were actually communicating. After their kiss, the two went home and haven't spoken since that night.

Mariah was avoiding him as best as she possibly could. She didn't know how to approach him or even what to say. It just happened so unexpectedly and her mind couldn't function properly enough. She wondered what Archie thought about the whole situation.

Their kiss would change everything, that much was obvious. But whether or not the change would be good was the problem. Which is why Mariah was avoiding him, much to her mother's dismay.

"I don't understand why you won't just talk to him," Amara said to her daughter who groaned in response. "No seriously, it's not a big deal," the woman continued. "It's a huge deal, mother," Mariah responded. Amara rolled her eyes, "All you did was kiss."

"It wasn't just a kiss though. It was more than that. That kiss can make or break my relationship with Archie. It can ruin everything," Mariah explained.

"You know what else could ruin your relationship? You avoiding him," Amara said and Mariah sighed. "Just talk to the boy, see where his head's at and where he wants to go with everything," Amara continued.

"I don't know mom," Mariah mumbled. "You told me that he said that he liked you," Amara said and Mariah nodded. "Yeah, so?" She questioned. "So that means that he wants to be more than just friends," her mother answered.

"Or it means that he likes me but wants to remain friends and told me so that I know and our friendship wouldn't be ruined," Mariah claimed and then cringed. Amara scrunched up her face, "If that were the case, then he wouldn't have kissed you. He wouldn't have even admitted his feelings either."

"How do you know?" Mariah asked. "Because I'm smart and I know how boys work. They're idiots," Amara replied.

Just then the door opened and Mariah's eyes widened in shock. Her head whipped around in the direction that the door was located. "You have some explaining to do Mariah Adeline Coleman," the voice of Cheryl Blossom said. The blonde turned to the girl, "How did you get into my house?" She asked in shock. Cheryl held up her keychain and shook it.

"Your mom made me a key," the redhead answered simply. "Now, why didn't you tell me that you and Archibald Andrews kissed?" Cheryl exclaimed. Mariah turned to her mother with narrowed eyes. Amara laughed sheepishly. "I'm gonna go get ready for my day," she said, rushing off in the direction of her room.

Mariah turned back to Cheryl who looked at her expectantly. "I was going to tell you," Mariah claimed. "Oh really?" Cheryl asked, eyes narrowed. "Yes?" Mariah replied. "That 'yes' sounded like a question," Cheryl stated.

Mariah smiled at Cheryl who only looked at her in distaste. "Grab your things, I'm taking you to school. And you are going to tell me everything," the redhead said and Mariah nodded.

The blonde went upstairs to her room, grabbed her bag and shoes, and walked downstairs to where Cheryl stood. The two girls left the house, Mariah locking the door behind her, and got into Cheryl's car.

····

By the time they got to school, Mariah had told Cheryl everything and Cheryl was scowling at the girl. "You're stupid," she deadpanned. "How am I stupid?" Mariah asked, slightly offended. "Because you're ignoring Archie," Cheryl replied as if it was the most obvious answer, which it was. "I'm not ignoring him. Just avoiding him. There's a difference," Mariah defended.

"No, there isn't. And not answering his calls or texts is considered ignoring. And you're a moron," Cheryl said as the two walked into the school. "I mean, it's so obvious that Archie likes you and wants to be more than just friends. You're just too stupid to see it," Cheryl continued.