TEN | Revelations

*I feel like I say this a lot but please read the Author's Note at the end of the chapter*

At night, Veronica texted Mariah to meet her at the school and explained what was happening. So, Mariah texted Cheryl to come and pick her up. As they walked into the school, Mariah began talking. "So when are you gonna tell me what happened?" She asked.

"Soon. Just be patient. Jeez!" Cheryl exclaimed in irritation. "You know I'm not patient," Mariah whisper shouted. "Shh," Cheryl shushed. Mariah narrowed her eyes and glared at her friend. "I know you did not just shush me," Mariah began as the two girls rounded the corner.

"Color me impressed," Cheryl started, making Betty, Veronica, Kevin, and Ethel jump. "A B and E with B and V. What would your holy roller mother say about this, Betty?" Cheryl concluded. "What are you doing here, Cheryl?" Betty asked.

"And where did you get those thigh-high boots? They're amazing," Kevin said. Mariah gave him a look at the irrelevance of his question. "Trev told Valerie, who told Josie, who told Ginger, who told Tina, who told me," Cheryl explained to the group. Mariah raised her eyebrows in question.

"What are you talking about? I told you," Mariah said. "Yeah, after Tina told me," Cheryl replied. "Yeah, okay," Mariah said, rolling her eyes. "And I thought I would help out," Cheryl added.

"Help? Or derail our investigation?" Betty asked. "Get over yourself, Betty," Cheryl deadpanned, shining the flashlight she held in Betty's face. "Hey guys, get in here," Ethel called to them. They all walked closer to where Ethel was standing. She held a book in her hand.

"Trev was right. They didn't even bother to hide it," Ethel said. She flipped the page and Mariah could see Veronica's name. "New girl? Is that what I'm reduced to? Nine points?" Veronica asked in a quiet voice. Underneath Veronica's name, Mariah could see her own. Written was, Mariah (9.2)- Mystery girl.

"Better than 'big girl'. Seven point five," Ethel said sadly. "Polly's in this book," Betty said quietly. "Next to Jason's name," Cheryl added. Mariah shook her head in disappointment. She couldn't believe that Jason had actually participated in something like this.

"Mar, your name's in this too," Veronica said causing Mariah to nod. "But there's no guy's name next to yours," Cheryl pointed out causing Mariah to frown and look closer. Where a football player's name should be is where a question mark resided.

"He wasn't lying," Mariah whispered to herself. "What? What are you talking about?" Cheryl asked. Mariah just shook her head and looked at the ground. Betty began walking away from the group. Veronica looked over. "I'm so sorry Betty," she said sadly. "This isn't... Jason would never--" Cheryl started and Betty cut her off.

"It's right there, Cheryl! God. Your brother hurt my sister. This is what guys like Jason and Chuck think about women. We're objects for them to abuse. And when they're done with us, they shame us into silence. They have zero remorse for the lives they destroy," she said in slight anger.

"Maybe I don't know Jason," Cheryl said, turning off her flashlight. "Maybe neither of us do," she added, motioning toward Mariah.

Mariah tuned out the rest of their conversation as she walked a little away from the others. She felt sick. Jason was a part of something so awful and cruel. He was doing something that she never, in a million years,would've thought that he would do. "I'm gonna go," Mariah said quietly. "Are you okay?" Betty asked and Mariah nodded her head and began to walk away.

She walked aimlessly around the school trying to clear her head. She walked passed the music room and heard singing. It was faint because the door was closed but she could still hear it. The voices sounded familiar but she couldn't place them. She took multiple steps backwards until her back touched the wall.