NINE | Sticky Maple

*I don't know if people read the author's note when I ask but please read the author's note at the end of the chapter.*

The consistent ringing of the doorbell and the knocking on the front door somehow woke Mariah from her slumber. She groaned loudly and turned over in her bed, pushing her face into her pillow.

A knock sounded on the door of her room and she groaned again. "Hey sleepy head. There's someone here to see you," the voice of Amara Coleman spoke as the woman entered the room.

"Tell them I'm dead," Mariah mumbled. Amara rolled her eyes and walked over to the bed, pulling the covers off of Mariah's body. "You have school today. So get up and get dressed," she said to her daughter. "I can't go to school today mom. I'm sick," Mariah replied, adding a fake cough at the end.

Amara rolled her eyes again. "Come on. You don't wanna keep your visitor waiting do you?" She asked, wiggling her eyebrows. Mariah narrowed her eyes. "Who's the visitor?" She asked suspiciously. Amara smirked wickedly. "Get dressed sweet pea." Was her answer as she walked out of the bedroom, closing the door behind her.

Reluctantly, Mariah climbed out of bed and did her morning routine. After getting dressed, she grabbed her things for school and walked downstairs. The last person she expected to see sitting in her kitchen was Archie Andrews.

"Archie? What are you doing here?" She asked, the confusion evident in her voice. "Uh, I came to walk you to school?" He said, though it sounded more like a question than a statement. "Why?" She asked him. "Because Mariah, he wanted to walk you to school," her mother answered for him.

"Now, go on. Get to school. Don't be late," Amara said, practically pushing the two teens out of the door. The two walked down the porch steps and across the driveway and walked in a peaceful silence. That is until Mariah broke it. "So how did you know where I lived?" She asked him in curiosity. Archie's face heated up at the answer to that question. "I, uh, a-asked C-Cheryl for your address. A few days ago," he answered sheepishly.

Mariah laughed, "How much did you have to bribe her in order to get that information?" She asked. "I had to tell her that she was the most beautiful and intelligent person in Riverdale. And then get down on my knees and beg her to tell me," he replied, slightly embarrassed. Mariah laughed even louder at this. "Wow, you really wanted to walk me to school huh?" She asked.

"I actually wanted to use this time to catch up. I mean, we just became friends again and I wanna know what I missed out on these past few years," Archie explained. "Okay. What do you wanna know?" Mariah asked, turning her head to look at him as they walked.

Archie thought for a moment. "Do you still dance?" He asked. Mariah shook her head. "Nope. I hung up my pointe shoes a long time ago. Cheerleading is more my thing," she answered. "My turn--" Mariah started but Archie cut her off. "No no. I'm asking the questions. You don't get to ask them," he said. Mariah gave him a pointed look, tilting her head to the side. "What do you wanna know?" He sighed in defeat.

Smiling triumphantly she asked, "What got you into football?" Archie thought for a moment before shrugging. "I don't know. I guess my dad. Plus it's fun," he answered honestly. "Do you still play the piano?" Archie asked next. She looked down at the ground shaking her head no. "I stopped playing a while ago. What about you? I saw you playing the guitar the other day. What's up with that?" She asked, changing the subject.

Archie blushed again and looked away from her. "Uh, I'm kinda into music now. I really like it," he said. "Are you any good?" She asked and Archie shrugged. The two grew silent as they continued to walk to school.

"Do you remember those songs you used to write?" Archie asked smiling. "You mean the terrible ones?" She asked back. Archie laughed, "They weren't that bad." Mariah gave him a look. "Okay, they were pretty bad," Archie admitted while laughing. Mariah smiled at him, "Why do ask?"