TWELVE | Drive Ins

*Please read the author's note at the end of the chapter!*

When Mariah, Veronica, and Kevin arrived at the drive in, Mariah was less than thrilled. She would much rather be in bed, eating french fries, and watching Netflix. But instead, she was sitting in the back of Kevin's truck, watching a movie she couldn't care less about.

Veronica was leaning against Mariah's shoulder when she sat up abruptly. "Remember the last time we went to a drive in?" She asked Mariah who shook her head. "We went with Savannah. Remember?" Veronica said.

Mariah's face lit up in remembrance and she smiled and nodded. "We watched Hairspray," Mariah said. "Yeah, and Savannah was singing every song at the top of her lungs," Veronica added making Mariah laugh quietly. "And she made us sing with her," Mariah said and Veronica laughed.

"Everyone was so mad but eventually, they sang along too," Veronica said and the two girls began laughing again. As the laughter died down, Mariah was filled with sadness. The thought of Savannah made her feel a variety of emotions. "That sounds amazing. But, who's Savannah and why am I only now hearing about her?" Kevin asked.

The two girls were quiet for a while and then Veronica spoke. "She's someone that we used to know," Veronica said softly. Just then, Cheryl drove in front of them. She got out of her red car and closed the door. "Make some room, outcasts," the redhead said walking over to them and entering the truck.

"I'm insulted Mari. You came to the drive in and didn't invite moi," Cheryl said as she settled in next to her friend. "Cheryl, I don't even want to be here. I was practically dragged here." Cheryl rolled her eyes, "You still could've called me to join." Mariah narrowed her eyes at her friend. "I'll be sure to do that next time," she replied with an eye roll.

As the movie continued, Mariah found herself dozing off. The next thing she knew, Kevin was getting up to refill the popcorn. "Hey Kev, bring me back some chocolate please," Mariah said. "What am I, a butler?" He asked incredulously. "No, you're more like an underpaid maid," Mariah said with a smile. "Ha ha," Kevin deadpanned and then he walked away.

Mariah fell asleep a little while after and was shaken awake by Cheryl. "Come on Mar, I'm taking you home," Cheryl said. Mariah nodded and Cheryl led her to the car. The ride was silent and when they got to her house, Cheryl parked in the driveway. "Well this is a sight," Cheryl said. Mariah furrowed her eyebrows in confusion and looked to where Cheryl was staring.

Archie sat on Mariah's porch steps. "Do you want me to tell him to beat it?" Cheryl asked. "No, it's okay. I'll talk to you later, Cheryl," Mariah answered. She got out of the car and turned to Cheryl, who gave Archie the 'I'm watching you' sign with her fingers. She watched Cheryl drive away and turned toward Archie, walking closer to him.

"What are you doing here, Archibald?" She asked. Archie flinched at her tone of voice when she said his name. It wasn't the teasing tone that he was used to. The redhead sighed, "She's leaving. Ms. Grundy. Mrs. Cooper found out about us and a lot happened and now she's leaving."

"Am I supposed to be sympathetic or something?" Mariah asked. This caused Archie to laugh. "No. I didn't think you would be anyway," he admitted.

"So why are you here?" Mariah asked, still confused. "I would pick you," Archie said.

Now Mariah was even more confused. "What?" She asked. "You asked me if I had had to choose between you and Ms. Grundy who I would pick. And, I'd pick you," Archie explained. "Why?" She asked him. She walked closer and sat next to him on the porch. "Because I realized that you mean a lot more to me than she does. When you left all those years ago, I was pretty much devastated. And I got a second chance with you. To be your friend and I ruined it. I'm sorry. For making you feel like you had to compete with her," Archie began. Mariah was too stunned to say anything so she just let him continue.