Chapter 14

Image: Teenage Greg

--------------------

    Greg sighed as he shoved his books into his assigned locker, glaring at the incorrect heavy objects. He already learned this stuff from Alec. And all the stuff in the worthless books were false anyway. They were probably better suited as paperweights, or more happily as something to start a fire with. When the bell started it's annoying clanging Greg jerked around and watched as the crowd of teenagers almost seemed to disappear into the classes they were destined for. Damn. He snatched up his bag and slammed his locker as he hurried toward his science class. Not that one class went any better than the first. By the time the day came to its end he was shuffling toward his locker, loaded with books and homework. Greg glanced at the phone Lucas had bought him and frowned. What a waste of time school was. He froze and took a couple steps back smiling as he read a notice tacked to the schools Announcement board. Straightening he hurried back down the hall.

    It took him all of five minutes to find the art room, peeking through the window in the door to watch the group of teens mingle a little. He turned when someone cleared their throat, eyes narrowing when he recognized the boy standing there watching him. "You going in?"

    Greg hesitated before giving a nod, turning to open the door and step in. The teen followed him in with a shake of his head, making his way straight to Anya who sat at a table sketching. Greg shifted as he glanced around. "Are you here to join?" Greg twitched at the happy voice, turning to stare at the girl watching him with a smile.

    "Join?"

    "Yes, The Art Club."

    Oh...umm...yeah."

    "Oh good. That gives us ten people. We can do trips now."

    "Oh....okay."

    She laughed a little. "Sorry. There's a couple places I wanted to go. I'm Alice, president of the Art Club. What's your name?" she asked as she held out her hand.

    "Gregory...or...er, Greg."

    "Year?"

    "Sophomore."

    "Really?! You don't look it." she said as she looked him over.

    Greg shifted a little, a small blush forming as he watched her. "I skipped a grade." he muttered almost nervously.

    She giggled a little at his blush, but nodded. "Oh cool. Well, I'm a Senior and welcome to the club. We're going to start soon." he gave a small nod as she turned and moved away. He stood there for all of a minute when Alice stood and cleared her throat. "Hello. I have news. We got a tenth member today!" the room cheered out a little and all seemed to turn toward Greg. He stiffened a little at the sudden attention, trying hard not to fidget. "Let me introduce Greg. He's a Sophomore. New to the school so let's make him feel welcome."

    Greg shifted a little and lifted his hand in greeting. He smiled when Anya smiled and lifted her hand. "Greg why don't you take a seat right here and we'll get started. Mostly to talk about our first trip." Alice said with a small bounce to her step as she moved to the front of the room. Greg settled in at the seat Alice had pointed to, glad he had a view of Anya.

    An hour later Greg was actually happy about joining the club. It seemed like he'd like it at least. He'd just shouldered his bag when someone tapped his shoulder. He turned and froze when he found Anya smiling up at him. "You came."

    Greg hesitated before he gave a nod. "Yeah. Though I feel like you scouted me." he said with a small laugh.

    Anya laughed and shook her head. "No, never!"