Chapter 17

Image: Raelyn
--------------------

Daniel stood at Megan's door staring at the doorbell frozen. He shifted again, hand tightening around the bottle of wine he held as he finally reached out to press the button. Megan practically ripped the door open. "Finally! I was wondering how long you were going to stand out here. Come on." she dragged him instead, kicking the door closed only to shove him back against it and kiss him.

Daniel groaned out, hand pressing into her hair and fisting. He let out a small sound, turning away and effectively breaking off the kiss. "Wait, Shit. Megan, we need to talk." the words had barely left his mouth before he stiffened, realizing his mistake. "I..." he swallowed hard when he found Megan staring him down. "No! No no no! I didn't mean it like that. I don't want to stop seeing you or anything." he let out a sigh when she relaxed.

"Don't ever, ever, start a conversation like that Daniel. Ever again."

"I...Yeah, okay." he muttered as he shifted away from her a little.

"Now, what was it you wanted to talk about?" Megan took his hand and turned, starting to lead Daniel to the couch and forced him to sit. She took the bottle he held and set it on the counter, eyeing it a little nervously. Last time he'd brought wine it'd been drugged by those damn dragons.

"Well, its..." Daniel frowned as he sat forward, elbows resting on his knees and seeming at a loss for words, which only seemed to cause him to fidget. Megan found it cute, though most might have been annoyed with it. "I have to leave for a couple weeks."

Megan frowned as she watched him, taking a moment to process what he was saying. "What do you mean leave?"

"Sullivan is calling me back to the compound."

"You mean the wizard compound? And when you say Sullivan you mean the man who put that tattoo on your and summons you like a pet?"

Daniel  frowned at her words, turning to face her as best he could on the couch. "Yes and no. Megan it's not like that. It's just a type of check-in. All the wizards have to at one point if we live off the compound."

"Daniel, I don't like this. You've talked about Sullivan before and I don't like the thought of you going. He's up to something."

Daniel let out a small laugh and shook his head. "Megan, I told you I have to check-in every now and then and that means going to the compound. I'll only be gone a couple days. I was planning on leaving tonight so I can get back sooner. It's a day's drive there and back and then I'll have to stay so a week," he smiled as he reached out and pulled her closer. "I wanted to say goodbye first."

Megan sighed as she slipped her arms around him. "Fine, but you better be back in a week like you said. We have a date to make up for now."

Daniel didn't leave Megan's for another hour which made it dark by the time he made it home. He'd just finished packing and made it back downstairs to find the dragons blocking his exit. "Come on guys. I'm already behind in time."

"Daniel, you shouldn't go. Something is wrong." Xander said, arms crossing over his chest.

A small sigh left him as he heard the same thing Megan had just told him. "I've already heard all this from Megan. I don't see how Sullivan calling me for a check-in is any different than normal."

"Then listen to your woman," Daniel frowned at Dellan's words. "Daniel, you wont come back this time."

"You're over exaggerating." Daniel snapped out as he stepped forward, nudging them out of the way as he reached past to open the door. "I'll be back in a week." he snapped at the dragons as he stalked out and slammed the door behind him.