Chapter 5

"Mommy, mommy! Get up, it's my birthday!" Scarlett screeched happily as she was bouncing on her mother's bed.

"Scar, it's still going to be your birthday in a few hours, let mommy sleep a little longer," Meredith mumbled.

"No mommy, I want to go eat breakfast," she begged as she continued to bounce on the bed.

"Ok Scarlett, I'm getting up," Meredith groaned as she sat up and wiped the sleep from her eyes. Scarlett smiled and hugged her tightly.

"I love you mommy," Scarlett said, kissing her mother's cheek.

"Love you too Scar, go get dressed," she said and the little girl happily went into her room. Meredith looked over at the boy who was still fast asleep next to her, she shook her head at him before getting up. She brushed her hair and teeth before putting her clothes on. She went over and woke up CJ.

"Sleep mama," he groaned.

"No Bubba, come on. It's sissy's birthday and we are going to get pancakes," she moved the blankets off him and he groggily looked at her.

"No," he reached for the blanket again and she pulled back farther.

"Come on CJ, lets go get you some clothes on," she begged and he shook his head.

"Sleepy," he mumbled as he rubbed his eyes. She shook her head at him, grabbing him up. He groaned and kicked at his feet.

"No mama," he continued to kick.

"Charles Jameson! Stop it now or no pancakes," she scolded. He stopped kicking at her and poked his lips out.

"Pancake?" He looked up at her.

"Yes, now lets go get clothes," she said and he obliged. She went into his room with him, picking out some jeans and a t-shirt. She took CJ downstairs to find his shoes that he loved to leave scattered amongst the living room. Her eyes bulged when she realized how much of a mess her house was.

"I've got to clean this up," she huffed, sitting CJ down. She quickly gathered up the shoes and other mess from the floor and placed them into the coat closet no one ever used. She picked up a magazine from the coffee table to put into the basket of magazines when she froze. Her heart skipped a beat when she realized it was a medical magazine. It dated back three months. She saw one of the sidelines and tears welled in her eyes.

Medical field has major loss.

She almost cried when she saw the picture underneath. It was a picture of Charlie, his bright smile shined with his perfect white teeth. His blonde hair fixed just the way she loved it. His brown eyes shined with happiness. She remembered getting this in the mail and throwing it down before reading it.

"Mama, you cryin?" CJ asked when he noticed his mother.

"No baby," she shook her head, she placed the magazine down and looked at her son. He was a spitting image of his father. She grabbed a pair of rain boots and put them on his feet.

"I love you," he said, grabbing her neck and kissing her cheek.

"Mama loves you too CJ," she smiled, fixing his hair. Scarlett came down the stairs, her hair brushed and fixed how she always does.

"Ready?" She asked and both kids nodded. She picked up CJ and grabbed her purse and car keys. They left and went to the diner that was just down the street. She smiled, the memory of the first time Charlie brought her here flashed in her brain. She wished with all her might that he was here but that didn't change the fact he was gone.

They sat in their usual spot, their usual waitress came to wait on them, already having their drinks on a tray. The kids loved her and she loved the kids. She had known Charlie since he was a child, he had grown up in Seattle and his dad brought him here since he was CJ's age.