Chapter 7

"Sorry Im late guys, i had a late surgery," Lexie huffed as she took her coat off and hung it on her chair. They have all made it a tradition to go to Joe's every Tuesday night after work. Each of them did it religiously for the past seven weeks. Meredith and Cristina were almost tipsy by that time and the boys each had a beer.

"It's fine Lex," Meredith hiccuped before downing another shot. She swayed her body with the music as they were converting about their surgeries that day. Meredith focused mainly her eyes on Derek as she tried to listen to everyone else. It was different, the friendship that had blossomed between her and Derek. It wasn't like any friendship she had with anyone. They talked about everything now, their stories and their parenting. They were almost always together now, in and out of the hospital. It was known their group that their friendship was only platonic.

Derek caught Meredith's graze and chuckled at her, shaking his head. They each took turns on who was going to get drunk that night and the other would drive home. He would do anything for her to know she is safe. It was odd to him how protective he felt over this woman he had known not even six months.

"Dance with me," Meredith giggled, grabbing Derek's arm. He shook his head at her, chucking slightly.

"I don't dance," he laughed. He knew how drunk she was and how he had a couple of beers, he couldn't control his actions. He didn't want to ruin the friendship they gained.

"For me, please!" She begged, dancing a little as she was pulling at his arm.

"Fine," he fake groaned as he stood up. He took another sip of his beer before following her. She started swaying her hips at him and he swayed with her. She wrapped her arms around his neck. He felt the lump in his throat at the close contact between them. He looked down at her in the low light of the bar. Her emerald eyes still shined in the dim lighting and her honey hair fell on her shoulders. His chest tightened lightly, it was like it was just the two of them.

"What?" She giggled when she caught his blue orbs staring at her. Chills fell over her body when his mouth opened and closed, he was trying to think of the words to answer her without saying how he was feelings.

He let his actions speak for him as he leaned down to envelop her lips into a kiss. He felt her body just fit perfectly against his as their lips melted together. They stood swaying for a minute, their lips dancing along with their body. He felt all his emotions flood into their kiss and he felt his heart fill until she pulled away. Her eyes bulged as she realized what had happened.

"I'm sorry," he mumbled, realizing the mistake. He blew it.

"It's fine, i think I had too much to drink," she stuttered, backing away from him slightly. She was shocked, unable to process what had just happened. She went back to the table and he followed. She looked at everyone and grabbed her purse.

"It's getting late and the babysitter needs to be relieved soon," Meredith said. She looked at Derek and he said he goodbye's too. He followed her to the car, the ride was silent and awkward. He couldn't stop thinking about how he messed up their friendship. He pulled into her driveway, putting the car in park. They sat their, no words were spoke. He glanced over and noticed her looking at him. He knew what the look meant. He was taken by surprise when she grabbed his cheeks and kissed him with force.

She maneuvered her body on top of his, her hands migrated to the back of his head, tugging at his curls as her tongue danced with his. She felt his hands roam across her hips and up her shirt. She pulled back a little, looking at him.

"We can't, not like this. I want you to be in the right state of mind and you are drunk. You don't want to do something you will regret," he whispered, caressing her cheek. A small tear fell from her eye as she looked at him.

"I won't regret this," she shook her head.

"You will, and I can't have you hate me for this," he said, hurt in his voice. He wanted this more than he had wanted anything but he knew it was wrong.

She climbed off of him, feeling broken and lost. His words were true but she didn't know how she felt about him really. He made her feel some type of way. It was magical, his ocean blue eyes could always melt away any kind of troubles she had but they didn't help what she felt right now. She got out of the car and so did he. They walked into her house, the girls were asleep on the sofa and the baby sitter was sitting on the chair, engrossed in the movie they were watching.

"Thanks for watching them," Meredith smiled at the young girl. She paid her for the kids and the girl left.

"If you want to leave her here, I'll take them to school tomorrow," she said, hiccuping.

"Are you sure?" He asked and she nodded.

"It's not any trouble, they look cute and tired," Meredith smiled at the best friends.

"Ok," he nodded and started walking over to the door. Meredith followed him over. He stepped over the threshold and turned to look at her. He shook his head, trying to hide his smile as he just left without another word