Chapter 13

"Mer," Cristina called as she hurried toward her friend just as she was walking out of the cafeteria.

"You already ate?" Cristina asked.

"Yeah with Lexie and Alex," Mer nodded.

"Well have you heard about the new attending?" Cristina followed Mer as they walked to the elevator.

"No, what do you know?" Meredith was now curious. There hasn't been any recent deaths or people being fired.

"Nelson is retiring. Word is they are getting this big replacement, suppose to give Shepherd a run for his money," Cristina grinned. She did like Derek but she knew Meredith. Mer was dark and twisty, saw everything in gray. Derek was the opposite.

"Wow, where is he from?" Meredith said, eyebrows raised.

"I don't know. I could ask Preston but i doubt he would know. Since Bailey became cheif, Preston doesn't know much anymore," Cristina stated .

"How are you two anyway?" She ask, knowing the answer.

"Things are ok. He keeps bringing up kids. When we got married, we both agreed that our careers come first," she said. Cristina didn't do children, she loved Meredith's kids but from a distance. As they have gotten older, she spends more time with them but she never wanted kids.

"Well you both have careers that are flourished. Things change. Needs change for men. I am not saying you go get yourself pregnant and become a housewife but you need to have a real conversation with him," Meredith said, the look on Cristina's face could have been confused for a look of disgust.

"Yeah I am aware but I haven't even won my Harper Avery yet. Anyway how are things with Shepherd?" Cristina said in a low voice as they walked toward the nurses station.

"Good. He is great with the kids, CJ adores him and Scar loves being able to have her best friend come over a lot," Meredith nodded.

"Have you two, ya know?" Cristina didn't want to be insensitive and come right out.

"No, taking things slow. I don't think I am ready for that step yet," she shook her head. They had been close to but he always asked if she was ready. He knew to take things slow. She really was setting the pace for everything.

"That's good. He is a good guy I guess. Don't you dare tell him I said that," Cristina said and Meredith laughed.

"I won't. What are you doing for Thanksgiving this year?" Meredith asked. Usually she and Charlie would go to his family but she didn't want to do that this year.

"Probably ordering take-out. No use in making a big meal for just us."

"Let's have Thanksgiving together this year. Maybe invite Lexie, Mark, and Alex," Meredith suggested.

"I hope you ask Lexie to cook," Cristina joked.

"Shut up. I can cook," Mer rolled her eyes.

"Yeah, if it comes out of a box. Burke can cook a good turkey," Cristina said.

"It's settled," she smiled.

"You inviting Derek?" Cristina asked.

"Inviting me to what?" Derek came out of nowhere.

"Thanksgiving at my house. Just a few friends will come over," she shrugged.

"As long as you aren't cooking, I am in," he chuckled and she shook her head.

"I will tell Alex," Cristina raised her brow as she left the two alone.

"I thought you had a family?" Meredith questioned him.