Chapter 21

Author's Note: I am so glad to be back into this story the way I am, I'm sorry it took a while to post this. I re-wrote it four times before I liked this one. It's different from what I usually write, I like writing happy fluff but I know I needed a little something different in this story. It's a long one for me, i hope you guys are enjoying reading this as much as I have been writing it! Love seeing the reviews from you guys! Thanks for reading

...

The loud alarm blared in her ear, it was like a siren and her brain was still in a whirlwind. The past three days had seemed to just seem like one huge nightmare to her. She felt around the empty spot next to her, her eyes still struggling to stay open. She had to go back to work today, no matter how much she didn't want to. Her whole body just felt numb, she was already scheduled herself a light day for the day but she wanted to ask one of the fellows to cover her shift. The hospital would understand, but she knew it would help her mind stay busy. She checked her phone, a text from Derek letting her know he took the kids to school and left her breakfast downstairs. She smiled, he was so understanding of the situation. He did everything he could to keep things easy for her and took on the kids without blinking an eye.

She called Mark, he hadn't left the hospital since the accident. He let her know there hadn't been any change in anything really. They were planning to wean her sedation today to access the extent of her brain damage. The good news through it all was the baby was healthy, there was a heartbeat at least. She knew it was going to be a long road to recovery for her sister, she could still remember the day she found out she had a sister. It was like a whirlwind of emotions but Charles had convinced her she needed to get to know her. That was the best decision she had made. She couldn't imagine her life without Lexie at this point, or even what is left of her. She hated to think the way she was thinking but the doctor in her knew how the outcomes will be. It took her longer than usual to finally get the strength to pull herself out of bed, she felt like she was in a pit of darkness. She didn't have the energy to do anything to her hair or face so she just splashed water on herself and pulled her hair into a ponytail to keep it out of her face and not look like a complete mess. She looked between the comfortable leggings and the scrubs and cursed herself every second for not calling in today as she slid into her scrubs.

The silent drive to the hospital was very lonely, normally she would have Derek to at least keep her company, though she was grateful he took the kids with him. She didn't have the energy or drive to keep up with them. They didn't know anything about Lexie and she wanted to keep it that way as long as she possibly could. She couldn't help but look at the time as she sat in her park car for a second longer, she knew she would be later than she already was. She wanted to go see Lexie before her shift but she hated seeing Mark the way he was and she also knew Thatcher would be there. That was a whole different conversation she didn't want to have. She managed to avoid him at every possible moment since Lexie had been in the hospital. Their relationship was very odd. They would speak on occasion and that was it. They had a strained relationship from the start, she still couldn't forgive him even though her mother was mostly to blame for him not being in her life. As a parent now, she knew nothing would ever stop her from being in her children's life.

She finally reached her office where she sat down at her desk, not a second later there was a knock on her door and it opened without her response.

"How you holding up?" Amelia asked. She had checked on Meredith every day, she was grateful to have her. She was slowly becoming the sister she didn't know she wanted. Amelia and her were very similar in different ways. She just felt a connection between them, like they were friends in a past life.

"I'm ok," Meredith lied. She knew she wasn't ok. Her sister could become a vegetable at any time.

"You're lying. If this were me and any one of my sisters, I wouldn't know what to do. Well except Nancy maybe," Amelia admitted. Meredith let out a small chuckle at the Nancy comment.