Chapter 25

Zayn's POV

"Hello?" Just hearing my mum's voice as she answered my call made me cry as I stood in the hallway of the hospital. "Zayn, what's wrong?"

"Mum, the baby." I managed to get out, hands shaking. "We..."

"Sweetheart, did you lose the baby?" My mum asked knowingly.

I couldn't even bring myself to answer her, but I think the sobbing was enough of an answer for her. She let out a breath and did her absolute best to comfort me as I cried over the phone. She told me that it happens and we'll have more chances to have another child. She tried to get through to me but all I could hear was pity in her voice.

"How's Eve doing?" She asked.

"She's..." I was crying so hard that I couldn't even spit words out. I couldn't remember a time where I'd cried this hard. The thought of Eve sitting in that room, completely depressed, traumatized, and angry made me sadder than I ever imagined I could be.

"Not doing well, huh?" Mum concluded, sniffling a bit herself. "Why don't you lot come stay with us? It's important to be surrounded by family after something tragic happens."

"I don't think I can even drive." I admitted.

"Then thank God you're in a famous band then, and you can arrange for someone else to drive you." She tried to giggle but I knew she was crying right along with me. She had the same tone in her voice that she had when she missed me or when we had to say goodbye.

"How am I going to tell my son?" I sobbed. "How will I explain to him that the baby he's been waiting for is dead? How am I supposed to expect a child to understand that?"

Mum sighed, knowing there was no answer. There was no way in hell that Aiden would understand at such a young age, and there was no way to properly sugarcoat it because reguardless of how we chose to put it into words, the baby was gone. And there was nothing we could do about it.

"When do you think Eve will be released from the hospital?" She changed the subject, and I was thankful for that.

"I don't know. I haven't really communicated with anyone too much." I replied.

"I'm so sorry sweetheart, I really am." The image of her wiping tears from her eyes with a tissue ran through my mind. "I'll get the house together, we'll be ready for you to visit when you're all ready. Okay?"

"Okay Mum. I love you."

"I love you too, Zayn. Please give Eve a big hug and kiss from all of us. Tell her that we love her."

"I will." I promised, hanging up soon after that. I kind of just sat in the hallway, resting my head on my knees and thinking.

Why us?

Why now?

Why Eve?

It wasn't fair to anyone.

Eve's POV

My mind couldn't seem to piece together the events that had happened every time I woke up. I wanted it all to be a dream but somehow I knew it wasn't. The fact that I was in pain from having to give birth to a dead baby might have contributed to it. I couldn't bring myself to even open my eyes as it happened. I couldn't look at the lifeless child that was supposed to bring happiness to our family.

I felt her though, I felt the death in the room. I heard the sighs as no baby cried after birth. I didn't need to see anything.

My eyes were heavy and my throat felt like it was filled with rocks. It felt like my whole world had crashed in such a short amount of time. I never got to see the smile of my little girl, as I was later informed. The nurse told me as she cleaned me up, sorrow and pity in her expression.