Chapter 7

Today starts the first official day of camp. I’m awake by 7:00am and in the mess hall by 7:30am. Last night Maggie gave us gold t-shirts that said Camp Legend on the front and Counselor on the back. Scarlett and I ripped the sleeves off the shirts and made the neck hole wider to make it look more like a tank top. It’s way too hot to be walking around in a thick t-shirt when there’s no air conditioning.

Last night I also told Scarlett about my almost kiss with Harry and how creepy Blake seemed to be. Scarlett laughed so hard tears had formed in the corners of her eyes. After wiping them away she then proceeded to tell me she was going to kick his ass.

Scarlett sat with me at a table of our own in the mess hall. The only counselors here were Liam and Zayn. They sat at a different table than us. Only 15 campers were here as well, not even Jem was here.

Louis walks in and as he passes our table he says, “Hey Alexa.”

He goes straight to Liam and Zayn to sit with them.

“Look at you getting all the boys, first the hot one, then the bald one and now the trouble maker. Pretty soon all the boys will be lining up at our cabin for you,” Scarlett teases.

“Shut up,” I say trying to hide my smile behind my hands. Scarlett never fails to make me laugh.

“Anyways, enough of all this boy drama. Want to partner up for an activity today?” She asks as she takes a bite out of her strip of bacon.

“Sure. What did you want to do? We could play a soccer game on the field after breakfast?” I offer. Scarlett’s favourite sport is soccer so I know she won’t refuse.

“Sure. We could do that until lunch or something,” She says.

“Okay. I don’t really care what we do, as long as we’re far away from creepy Blake,” I say and she laughs at our new nickname for the bald man.

“Speak of the devil, there he is,” She says looking behind me. I groan and focus my attention on my breakfast so I don’t accidentally make eye contact with him. To my benefit he doesn’t come anywhere near our table.

“Okay, he left,” Scarlett informs me when he finally leaves. I let out a sigh of relief.

More campers come in along with the rest of the counselors. I finish my breakfast with Scarlett and my new friends Ava and Madalyn.

Scarlett stands at the front of the mess hall and shouts, “Attention Group 2 and 4 campers! When you’re done your breakfast meet at the tree beside the field.”

“Why couldn’t you just go up to the kids and tell them instead of yelling to the whole camp?” I ask as we walk out of the mess hall and head towards the tree.

“Because I don’t remember any of the kids in my group,” She answers with a shrug.

We sit at the trunk of the tree and I look around the camp taking in its beauty. Scarlett takes out a small bag of gummy worms from her pocket. She always has candy with her, it’s amazing how much she can eat yet never gain weight.

At 9:00am everyone from our groups arrive. Scarlett and I stand in front of them as they sit on the ground.

“Hello campers! I’m Alexa and this is Scarlett, just in case you’ve forgotten. Today we’re going to play soccer! Since each group has 4 people, so both groups will be playing against each other,” I explain.

“My group will be on the left side of the field and Alexa’s will be on the opposite. Who wants to be the goalie for each team?”

Ryder, the 13 year old boy from my group, raises his hand to volunteer. A boy name Hunter who looks the same age as Ryder volunteers for Scarlett’s group.

“Okay get in your positions!” Scarlett says. Just as she says it I realize we forgot to grab a soccer ball.  The 8 year old boy in my group notices as well.

“Where’s the ball?” Tatum asks looking up at me with his big brown eyes.

“I’ll get it,” Scarlett says walking towards the shack near the high ropes. I’m glad she didn’t make me get the ball because I have no idea where to find one.

A girl with short blonde hair walks up to me, she looks like she’s about Jems age.

“Do I have to play?” She asks. I think her name is Thalia.

“Yes, why? Do you not want to play?” I ask her.

“No. I’m really bad at sports,” She says playing with the bracelet on her small pale wrist.

“Me too, but it’s okay you’ll be fine,” I try to assure her.

“Will you play too?” She asks hopefully.

“Will it make you feel better if I do?”

“Yes.”

“Then I’ll play and so will Scarlett,” I tell her. Scarlett comes back with a soccer ball and we all walk out to the field. I tell Scarlett that both of us should play because it’ll be more fun and she happily agrees.

Most of the game I couldn’t tell what was going on, but thankfully Matt, Ryder and Tatum did. They’re really good soccer players. Thalia and I barely had to kick the ball.

We played two games. The first game we won 4-2 and the second game we won 3-1. We took a half hour break between the two games to get ice cream from the kitchen.

 “That’s not fair, you have more boys on your team, that’s why you won!” Paige from Scarlett’s group complains.

“No complaining. Lets just go to lunch,” Scarlett says. I notice that it’s 11:40am already.

I don’t know what I’m going to do with my group after lunch. I might ask Ava and Madalyn to combine groups but they have 8 campers already.

After I finish eating I go up to Niall and Liam to ask if they want to do an activity together. I sit beside Niall when I reach their table, Liam is sitting across from him.

“Hey, do you guys want to play basketball with our groups after lunch? Or we could do something else…” I ask shyly.

“Sure! That’d be cool. What do you think Liam?” Niall says cheerfully.

“Sure.”

“We’ll meet you and your group at the courts,” Niall says as I get up and leave.

Our basketball game went better than I expected. I’m much better at basketball than soccer, it seems like the same goes for everyone else in my group. Niall and Liam’s group had 5 campers so I had to play on my groups’ team so there was an even number of players on each side.

My group won 6-4. It was only 3:00pm when our game ended so I had another 2 hours before dinner started to do something else.

Thalia suggested we go to the art shack because she didn’t want to do anymore running. So we painted and made crafts that until dinner.

The rest of the day went by smoothly. My group played board games after dinner, had snack at 7 and then there was a campfire for Groups 1-4.

I sat beside Jem during the fire and he told me all about his day with excitement. He talked about how nice Harry was and how he got to rock climb. He said their group won a relay race against Scarlett’s after lunch and how they went on the low ropes after dinner.

It’s really nice to see my brother this happy and making friends.