Chapter 10: Guilt

I went home and practically destroyed the house. I ruined all of the China plates, turned over every stool in the kitchen, and damn near broke the microwave - again.

How stupid are you!

I betrayed Cindy and Annah. I even betrayed myself.

This is exactly how you got into this whole mess in the first place. Sleeping with a hoe!

I ran my hands over my head and thought about what I was going to do next. There's no way I could tell Cindy what I did. We would be done for sure.

Damn.

But if I didn't tell her, my guilt would eat me up inside.

I could hear her now..

"You slept with your co-worker! How could you, Jason!"

All of the apologizing. All of the trust issues. All for nothing.

"God..if you can hear me right now," I paused to wipe my eyes. "please make things better. I can't lose my wife and my daughter."

I slid down the wall I was leaning on and cried. More than any man should.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It was the next morning. I was sulking out of the door on my way to the car for work. The night before last's events replayed in my head the whole drive. All I kept thinking about was if Cindy would find out what I did somehow.

I wouldn't know how to explain myself.

I arrived at the news station and grabbed my briefcase out of the trunk. I noticed Susie, the weather forecaster walking past me.

"Hey Susie!" I said cheerfully, hoping to lighten my mood.

She turned around, looked at me, and gave me a disgusted look.

That was strange.

I closed the trunk door and walked inside. It grew quiet once people saw me coming in. I gave everyone friendly smiles, hoping that someone would say something.

Lamar came out of nowhere and pushed me back outside.

"Lamar, what the hell!"

"You can't go in there, man." He said quietly.

"Huh? Why not?"

"Everyone's talking about you, man."

"Talking about me? What are they saying?"

"What the hell did you do with Yolanda yesterday?"

I looked at the ground and realized what had happened.

"Oh God..please don't tell me she-"

He nodded, cutting me off. "She told. Everyone."

My mouth dropped.

"I suggest you just go home, and try to-"

"No! Where is she!" I yelled.

He looked around towards the door where people were now standing, watching us.

"Keep it down. You don't wanna' make this worse than it already is." He tried to calm me.

"No! I want to see her. Now."

I stormed past him.

"Jason, wait!" He yelled after me.

I was already inside. I walked down the hall of shame that the people seemed to have formed. They were all staring at me, sharing whispers with who ever was around.