Chapter 27: Karma Shows No Favoritism

"Oh my gosh! Oh God!" Paula screamed as she almost fell trying to get away from the blood covered table.

"What the fuck!" Sean yelled, his eyes glued to the tragic scene in front of him.

With the gun still in Yolanda's hands, she continued breathing heavily as she shot Cindy's lifeless body once more.

More screams of terror followed and I blinked several times to see if this was all a mere dream or if I was still in reality. Was this all a figment of my corrupted imagination? I longed to be in my bed asleep, counting the hours until I was to go to work in the morning. None of this would have ever happened and my family would still be perfect as it had been before Bridget hopped back into my life and ruined it.

Ryan would still be Carson's child and they would live happily ever after, never bothering me again. There would be no more pain. No more regrets. I would be living a normal life.

But the large pool of blood on the table told me otherwise.

"Yolanda, put the gun down!!" Sean screamed, jumping across the table to grab the gun from her. The gun fell from her hand and into Sean's. He threw it halfway across the room where it fell against the wall.

"Finally that slut is dead! I hate her! I hate her!!" Yolanda screamed, flinging herself on the table to reach Cindy's body.

Sean grabbed her before she could touch Cindy and held her hands behind her back.

"Let me go!!" Yolanda screamed as she struggled to free herself from his grip.

"Cindy, wake up!!" Jacob screamed as he shook her. He removed his hands, realizing the blood that was dripping from them.

"Oh my gosh! Somebody call an ambulance!" Paula yelled, her hands shaking as she tried not to look at the catastrophe in front of her.

The bullet wound in her head was barely visible because of the ample amount of blood that had already oozed out of her head. Pieces of her brain matter laid near her head.

 I stared at the table as the waves of blood replaced the table's natural brown color.

I couldn't move. My mind was screaming at me to do something but my muscles seemed to be frozen and my bones became limp.

"Don't just stand there! We have to get her out of here!" Sean exclaimed as he looked at all of us.

"No," Alea said loudly, "let her stay here and rot."

We all turned our attention to Alea who didn't seem to be herself anymore.

"Alea..let's not be drastic," Paula began.

Alea jerked her head in Paula's direction. "Oh shut up, you don't even know me, bitch."

Paula's eyes widened and her eyes fell to the ground.

"Jason?" I heard a voice say, but I couldn't pinpoint who it was.

"Wait, you guys, where's Carson!" Jacob yelled.

We all looked towards the chair Carson had been sitting in. It was now empty and the gun that Sean had thrown across the room was gone too.

"Where the hell did he go?" Sean asked.

"He escaped like he usually does, leaving us to clean up his mess," I managed to say as the shock of Cindy's murder began to set in.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Soon after Jacob called 911, the paramedics and police arrived at the scene in time to see the results of a "reunion" gone wrong.

I was sitting on a bench behind the house, facing the large glistening  lake. Everyone else was at the front of the house talking to the police, I supposed. I had no clue how long I had been sitting on the bench and quite frankly, I didn't care.