Chapter 16: It's Really Over

"Hey Mike, is Toria there?" I said, using one hand to hold my phone and the other to drive.

"Yeah man, she's here. Hold on."

Toria never would use a cell phone. She never told me why and I didn't ask. I guess she was just old-fashioned.

A few seconds later, I heard Toria telling Mike something and then she came back. "Hey Jason. How are you?"

"I'm fine," I lied. "How about you?"

"Ehh, I'm OK. Been having some stomach pains lately."

"Ahh, maybe a baby on the way?"

She laughed. "No way! I'm not ready for kids."

"Mhm. Well, you know you're only 24. You still have time to give me a nephew."

"Or niece."

I laughed. "Hm, nah. Just a nephew."

We both laughed.

"Well, speaking of kids. How's Annah? I haven't seen her since she was born!"

My mood took a dramatic shift. I felt a pang of sadness in my chest. "She's fine. Just getting over a cold."

"Aww, poor thing. Did you try some honey and green olives? That always helps."

"Uh, thanks but no thanks sis. I don't think she would like your contraptions you come up with."

"What! It works! Just try it. You'll see."

I turned into a McDonald's and parked. "Mhm. I may try it one day."

"So what's up? Something wrong? You barely call me anymore."

I sighed with great frustration. "Yeah, I know."

"So what's up?"

"I've been having some..issues, I guess." I turned off my car.

"Issues? How so? Is mom alright?"

"She's fine..It's not her."

"Oh. Then what's wrong?"

"I fucked up big time, Toria."

"How?"

I swallowed the lump that had made its way into my throat and prepared for the tantrum she was about to have. She loved Cindy to death. Annah, too.

"I cheated on Cindy."

Before I could even get the rest of the story out, she was already yelling at me and cursing up a storm.

I just sat back in the seat and held the phone a few inches away from my ear to avoid becoming deaf.

"What's wrong with you Jason! Why would you ever do that?"

"I don't-"

"No, I don't even wanna' hear any of that." I could tell she was pacing around by her breathing patterns.

"Toria, just hear me out."

She sighed and gave me the benefit of the doubt. "OK. Speak."

"It was with one of my co workers-"

"No! I'm done listening! That's just ridiculous." She went on muttering other foul words and insults.

"Toria.."

She wasn't hearing me. She was too busy listening to her own accusations and assumptions she was making.

"You know you wrong, right?" She finally said after a good 10 minutes.