Chapter 1

A/N: Heads up! This is going to be a reeeeeeeaaaaaaallly long chapter but I wanted to get all the introductions out the way in the first chapter! Hope you enjoy!

Ominous shadows and light danced around. Up against the trees, on the ground, climbing the walls of my house. It was terrifying but in the most beautiful way possible. At least for me.  I was causing them. The early morning sky was still fairly dark, but the moon had already set behind the trees and the stars were disappearing slowly, one by one. I always waited until the last one was gone before I went inside, but not today.

"Sarah! Mom says you can't stare at fires at school! You gotta get ready!"

Without moving my body, I tore my eyes from the burning flames in front of me and looked at my younger brother. "Be right there!" I called, watching his small frame disappear inside. You can't stare at fires at school. I can if I start them, but that's not me.

School. I wasn't particularly fond of the idea, but that could just be because I didn't want to change schools. That just meant there were new people to lie to just to fit in and new enemies, but it also meant the opportunity for new friends. That you'd have to lie to.

That was always the worst part. Lying. If anyone found out what I could do, I wouldn't have anyone besides my family. Of course they knew. My grandmother would always tell me stories of people like me and how she believed there were others like me, but it was hard to believe. My parents were on the verge of getting rid of me when they found out. My dad wanted nothing to do with it, but my mom couldn't let her only daughter go. I guess that was just luck.

My little brother, Nathan, wasn't allowed to find out until he was out of elementary school just to make sure he could keep a secret. He found out about halfway through his sixth grade year and took to it surprisingly well. It's been almost a year now and he has yet to tell anyone. "Sarah, Mom said to put that thing out and get ready for school and don't make her come out here," Nate called from the back door, adding a mocking sassy tone for extra emphasis.

I reluctantly stood up and gave a quick wave of my hand, watching as the fire disappeared, leaving a trail of smoke floating up in the air. "Alright, fine. We wouldn't want to be late now would we?" I asked sarcastically as I approached my brother. Despite him being in seventh grade and myself being a junior in high school, he was still just as tall as me and it wasn't fair.

I followed him into the kitchen where my mom was in the kitchen chopping up the last bit of chocolate and dropping it in a pot that contained some milk. I gave her a brief kiss on the cheek, taking the opportunity to glance over her shoulder. "I figured some hot chocolate wouldn't hurt for you to take with you to make up for not being able to move earlier so you could start with everyone else," she said with a small smile.

"Sounds great, but can you add a little vodka in there for me?" I asked with a small smile.

"Seraphine!"

"I'm kidding, Mom." I laughed a bit as she shook her head and returned to watching the liquid so it didn't get scorched.

"Go get ready sweetie. I want you and Nathan to have time to find your classes so you're not late," she said. I took her advise and hurried upstairs, taking them two at a time.

Before Nathan could get in the bathroom, I stole it, locking myself inside just as I heard banging on the door. "Sarah hurry up! You got it first yesterday!" I started the water as I pulled my hair out of its ponytail, smirking slightly.

"And the day before that. All you have to do in here is brush your teeth which only takes a couple minutes. "You'll be fine," I said through the door before stepping in the shower, laughing a bit as I heard his bedroom door shut. I decided not to torture him and made my shower quick, stepping out and wrapping a towel around me.