Chapter One

Chapter One

I tied my hair up in a bun as I sat in the carpark and took deep shaky breaths. It was my first day on the job. I climbed out the car and locked it behind me before making my way to the building.

"Ah Miss Keys, you're here!" The receptionist gave me a flirty wink, his grin wide. "Here's your tag, you're going to need this to enter any room, including the toilet. Doctor Irwin will be escorting you around today."

"Is this the beautiful Miss Keys I interviewed the other week?" I heard the familiar voice of Doctor Irwin. I turned and smiled brightly.

"Doctor Irwin, it's a pleasure to meet you again."

"You too, I have a patient the whole day today, I hope you don't mind?" He asked.

"Of course I don't mind." I smiled.

"But first I'm going to take you to what will be your therapy room which doubles as your room for the overnight shifts. In there there's a locker where you will be required to keep your belongings in whilst you're on shift." He spoke softly. I nodded. "If you will follow me."

He led me down a few hallways until we arrived at a simple white door with the name 'Doctor Elizabeth Keys' on a plaque. He waved his tag in front of a simple black box on the wall and we entered. The room was black and white, furniture and décor.

"Your locker is this way." Doctor Irwin spoke softly and opened a door which lead to a singular locker. "If you can put your bag in there please..."

I nodded and put my bag in the locker. He smiled.

"Right here is the file on the patient." Doctor Irwin handed me a clipboard and I read through it as we walked to a corridor next to the one my room was on. He knocked on a door.

"Who is it?" His deep voice broke the quietness.

"Doctor Irwin and Doctor Keys, we're going to come in okay?" Doctor Irwin replied.

"Fine." He huffed. The door beeped as Doctor Irwin waved his pass in front of the black box. He pushed it open and we walked in to the room. There laid Calum with his head leaning against the wall. His eyes glanced over us, the life almost gone from within them.

Doctor Irwin's phone on his belt beeped. He picked it up his eyes scanning across the screen.

"Doctor Keys, I've got to go we have an emergency on floor three. I trust you with the patient." Doctor looked up at me. I nodded and he left. The door shutting behind him.

"Doctor Keys eh?" Calum spoke quietly. "I'm sure you know about me."

"Yes, Calum Hood." I walked over and knelt down beside him. "Please call me Elizabeth okay?"

"First name terms already?" He laughed softly.

"I'd prefer if you called me Elizabeth, you're down for a therapy session today, correct?" I asked quietly. He nodded. "Well, I'll be your therapist for today. So if you could follow me? I can trust you not to run so I won't have to hold your hand."

"Okay." He stood up. "Elizabeth." A smirk landed on his face.