Chapter Fifteen

Chapter Fifteen

I stood in the lab, sampling things from the old case and looking over old crime scene photos. Everyone else who worked here simply got on with their jobs, and others watched me from afar as I scribbled down notes quickly into the note book I had brought to help me make a new file case.

I blew a stray strand of hair out of my face as I leant on the desk. The laptop analysing the data I had inputted and comparing it to the old data for the murder file.

"You'd actually be really good working here, you've got three days work done in one- What's the rush?" Someone asked. I looked up.

"I want to learn more about my patient to give him the best possible treatment- I can't get in contact with his family. This was the best way." I spoke. He nodded.

"If you need anything, just ask." He smiled before walking away. I sighed quietly and looked back at the laptop. The two fragments of DNA didn't match up-

Three days later and I was sat at the bar, talking to the bar tender and drinking a small glass of white wine.

"Sorry I'm late-" Ashton broke my train of thought. I looked up and saw him sitting beside me. "I couldn't get out of work till late."

"It's fine, remember how we thought he was innocent?" I spoke quietly, reaching into my bag and grabbing the notebook. He nodded and I placed it on the bar, I pointed to the highlighted parts. "The DNA from the crime scene and Calum doesn't match- Or at least not all of it... I've spent the past few days trying to run the other DNA though the system but nothing has came up..."

"So he's not guilty?" Ashton spoke his eyes wide. I shook my head.

"For the most part, no. I mean he was there, but I've always wondered what the scar was on his collar bone." I spoke. "That brings me to my next point, I believe he was there trying to stop the murder from happening."

"So why exactly are you trying to look deeper into the murder case?" I heard a voice, I turned and saw people from the lab there. "It's a closed case, so why try to reopen it?"

"I'm not trying to, I'm trying to figure out what happened to him to lead him to kill." I lied. "It will help me think of the best possible treatment for him."

"Sure, but dig any further for any more evidence and-" He cut himself off and shook his head. "Good luck."

They disappeared.

"That's it, you need to stop. You're in danger-" Ashton spoke. I shook my head.

"I'm so close, I can't stop now." I whispered and shoved the notebook back into my bag. "I'm going to work from home and the lab for the next few days- I should be in work again in a few days time."