Chapter Ten

Chapter Ten

I looked at my bruised body in the mirror when I got home and winced as I brushed my fingers gently over some of them.

My work phone startled me from my trance.

"Yes hello, Doctor Elizabeth speaking?" I spoke.

"Doctor, Michael-" the voice on the other end of the phone hesitated. "What? I can't read that."

"Tell him I'll come visit him, I'll drive down now." I spoke.

"Did you hear that Michael?" The Doctor spoke. "He's smiling."

"I'll be down soon." I hung up and pulled on smart casual clothes and grabbed my car keys as I left.

I got lead to the room as soon as the first name left my lips. Michael sat there in the bed, eating off a tray and watching the small box TV. I knocked on the door and he jumped slightly looking up. He broke out into a grin and immediately reached for his whiteboard.

"I'm glad to see you alive." I breathed and walked over. He read over what he had written before wiping it clear and he looked at me. He held my eyes, and I could see the vulnerability within his.

"T-Thank you." His voice was husky, and a bit broken.

"Why?" I sat on the chair.

'Calum and Doctor Irwin came before you did and explained everything. They told me you're hurt, are you okay?'

"Much better now I know you're fine." I smiled. He grinned and sat himself up a little.

"Thank you, Elizabeth." He spoke quietly and I couldn't stop a smile breaking into my face.

--

"Michael! Elizabeth! You're okay." Calum cheered as we entered the common room. Everyone looked towards us as I supported Michael.

"We're fine." I spoke softly. "Michael I'll come back in a second, I'm going to speak with Doctor Irwin about what happened whilst we were gone."

He nodded smiling at me as I left. I headed to his office and knocked.

"Who is it?"

"Doctor Elizabeth." I spoke. I heard the lock on the door unlock and I pushed the door slowly.

"What is it you need?"

"What happened whilst Michael and I were gone?"

"He got jailed, for attempted murder and his other convictions before he came here."

"Michael will be thrilled to know."

"Indeed, we have visiting hours later, can you supervise Calum?"

"Yes, why?"

"No one has ever been to visit him. He gets moody and Doctor Hemmings is on visitor duty."

"Of course." I spoke.

"Okay, make sure you're with him between four and five." Doctor Irwin spoke. I nodded.