Chapter Twelve

My reflection didn't even look like me. My hair flowed long below my shoulders with curls. Paris had put some light makeup on me as well, the gloss on my lips shimmered as I turned my head. It felt weird and sticky, but Paris said it was pretty and insisted I wore it. She's dressed in a light pink ball gown with a gemmed corset top. It's a perfect Paris dress, to be honest.

"So, after that he just left?" Paris asks, smoothing out my dress.

"Yeah," I sigh.

"Do you think he'll be at the ceremony?" Her eyes look at the mirror as she adjusts her own dress now. She's put her long brown hair in a braided updo, the pink eyeshadow she has on matches her dress.

"It's a required event," I glance at the girl before running a hand through my hair. Twenty minutes till we have to be at The Block.

"I guess." Paris looks at me and wiggles her eyebrows, "That dress looks amazing on you." I'm dressed in a black ball gown that has an almost too long of a V-neck. There's a slit on my right leg that goes up to my mid-thigh. Needless to say, this dress wasn't my idea.

After Paris and I finished getting ready we make our way upstairs and outside to the car. Since she lives in the nicer part of the District, The Block isn't too far from her home so the ride there is only ten minutes. Outside the massive grey brick building, there are tons of beautiful lights strung on trees and Peacekeepers in black uniforms instead of the typical white. Normally Mr. Rauls is the only one in black, but because this is a formal event, Peacekeepers are required to have a 'back tie' outfit. Paris and I slowly make our way towards the giant black doors that have been propped open by tense Peacekeepers. The soft music playing inside is clouded by the conversations of the couple hundred people already inside.

Pairs gawks as she looks around, probably surprised that a place usually so dirty and smelly can look so nice. Typically, there are mats laid out on the cement floor, men and women are dressed in white clothing working on hand-to-hand or weaponry, and the only sound you hear is the gasps of breath from people taking a punch to the gut, "There's a lot of people here." Paris kinda yells next to me.

"Yeah, I know." I look around the room and follow her more into the area. It's not long until she's racing towards two boys in tuxedos.

Marcus is in a simple black and white tux topped with a black bow tie and his hair is swept to the side. As I walk closer towards him, his eyes trail up and down my 16-year-old looking body and I suck my cheeks in.

This dress was not a good idea.

"Rivers," Cato's voice stops me in my tracks and I turn slowly to look into the blue eyes staring at me.

"What?" I ask, tensing up a bit as his eyes also trail up and down.

"You look," Marcus starts before Cato can speak, "amazing."

"The dress was my idea," Paris smirks, looking at the two of us.

"Thanks," I mumble. Marcus tries to smile, but it fades quickly and the air between us grows thick.

"You look hot," Cato says to Paris, who rolls her eyes.

"I look better than hot," Paris smirks a bit and Cato chuckles.

The four of us all then go find our seats. Cato is seated in the front row next to his father and some Peacekeepers. I'm directly behind him, Paris to my left and Marcus to my right. Autumn is seated in the row next to Cato, by her father and mother. Her dress is red and long, perfect for her honey blonde hair. The time everyone is seated our Mayor makes his way to the stage and begins his long speech about how grateful he is to see everyone this evening.