Chapter Thirteen

It's been one month since Mr. Thomson's inauguration as Head Peacekeeper. Which means one month till the games. Training has gone back to its old ways so the only time Paris and I see Cato and Marcus is at school in class and after school during our study sessions, which we've now changed to an everyday occurrence. My dad quit his job and now works in the greenhouse we have in District Two. He makes much less than he did as a teacher, so we had to sell my mom's car just to afford another year of food. Everything seems to be going down hill. Our new teacher's name is Mr. Ray. I wouldn't mind there being a new teacher if he wasn't such an asshole. We already have assigned seating because Grant and Tyler wouldn't stop talking. Paris sits in the same spot she had when my dad was teacher, I sit in the back, two seats in front of Marcus and Cato two seats behind Paris. Needless to say, our conversations are now louder than before since we can't turn our backs to speak to each other. I have already asked Josh, the boy behind, for a pen twice, thinking it's Cato. Both times Josh has answered, "I don't have an extra pen." in which I make a face and ignore our assignment.

Tomorrow, the four of us have mock interviews in our communications classes. We all decided to meet in the library after school. The library at the academy is two stories. Books fill each wall with a million different stories; some present, past, and future. The lighting makes the atmosphere a comfortable setting. A perfect setting for Marcus, Paris, Cato, and I to study. Marcus is currently failing, so we're all asking him a ton of different questions to make sure he gets a good enough grade to bump his F to a D.

"What are your greatest weaknesses?" Paris asks Marcus.

"This is so stupid, I don't need to pass this class because I'm not going to the games." Marcus's voice is hostile as he snatches the paper from Paris and sets it on the table.

I quickly grab it and shove it into his chest, "Yeah, but you need to graduate."

Marcus gives me a look before grabbing the paper off his chest, "I'm not answering any more questions. I already answered like ten."

"Fine." Paris huffs, "Fail then."

"He won't fail." I give Paris a look before turning in my seat to face Marcus, "All you have to do is lie."

"Lie about what?" Cato asks, "Marcus answered all his questions honestly, regardless."

"Lie about your strengths, weakness, and stuff like that. It's easy for other people to answer those things for you, so pretend to be someone else looking at yourself."

Marcus kinda nods then looks over the paper some more. I face forwards in my seat again and look at Cato. He's jotting down notes from Paris's notebook, glancing up at me when I clear my throat. Cato and I haven't talked much since the ceremony. The only time we ever acknowledge each other is during study sessions or when we have class together. Occasionally at our lockers we say hi to one another. To be honest with you, the closer we get to the games, the more thankful I am we hardly speak. In a way, I can't help but feel like he's right about us not being friends.

I could never kill a friend.

"Clove." Marcus snaps in front of my face and I jump in my seat, quickly turning to face him.

"What?" I ask rushed.

"Do you want us to help you practice your interview or no?"

"Uh." I glance at my laptop, "No, I'm alright. Thanks though."

"Alright," Marcus shrugs, "What time is it?"

Paris looks at the clock next to us on the wall, "7:45. I guess if we wanted to call it a night, we could."