8

Chapter 8

MJ almost fainted. Her grandmother was standing right in front of her. "Gabby, we need to go."

Gabby sighed. "Aw. But I wanted to see what Maleficent's going to use the ring for."

"Huh? Ring? You mean, the Beast Ring?"

Gabby nodded. "Yeah. It's hard to explain."

"Don't worry. I understand plenty."

MJ grabbed Gabby hand, then tried to run through the crowd, but it kept pushing them forward.

"I don't think this is working," Gabby said.

MJ looked at her. "Gabby, we need to-"

"Gabby," called Mother Gothel.

MJ panicked. "Oh no."

Mother Gothel walked up to the two. She paused when she saw MJ.

"Hi Grandma," Gabby said, waving.

Mother Gothel scowled. "MJ ..."

"Miss Gothel," MJ began. "Please don't tell anyone I'm here."

Mother Gothel smiled evilly. "Oh, don't worry. I won't."

MJ nodded. "Thanks."

"I already told everyone."

MJ's eyes widened. "What? But, you-you said-"

Suddenly, purple fog started to form around MJ. The strand of hair on her head wagged like flags. Then, Maleficent showed up next to her. "Hello MJ," she said into her ear.

MJ closed her eyes. She wished this was all a dream. "Hi."

She opened her eyes and Mother Gothel was holding Gabby in place. MJ looked at Maleficent. "Gothel, you can take your grandkid away," Maleficent said. Mother Gothel nodded and walked Gabby away. "And as for you."

MJ turned around.

"You're coming with me. Meeting off!" Maleficent yelled, grabbing MJ's hand and taking her to the Bargain Castle.

She opened the doors and pushed MJ inside, locking them behind her.

"Go upstairs," Maleficent hissed.

MJ rushed up to the Bargain Castle and opened the door. Everything looked the same. MJ sighed. So many memories were placed here. Maleficent pushed past MJ and opened the safe. MJ watched as Maleficent shuffled through the old fridge. "Uh, Grandma, what are you doing?"

Maleficent looked up. "I'm trying to find something."

"What is it?"

Maleficent shut the safe door. "Something that would make you believe you want to stop me," she answered.

MJ's stomach rumbled. She was hungry, and she was nervous about what her grandmother was able to do. "Um, so," MJ began. "Do you, uh, have any foot?"

Maleficent was walking all around the room, searching through each cabinet in sight. "What do you mean by that?"

MJ put a curl behind her ear. "Um, food? Like, stuff we put in our bodies so we're healthy and can grow."

Maleficent scoffed, then opened the fridge and tossed MJ an apple. She caught it and held it in her hands. "Has, uh, Evil Queen given you poison apples?" MJ asked, eyeing the apple.

Maleficent shrugged. "I don't know. Why don't you try some and find out?"

MJ glared at her. "First of all, I'd never do that because I'm not stupid, and I have no true love, so I'd be asleep forever."

Maleficent smirked. "That's the point."

MJ bit her jaw and sighed. She knew her grandma was mean, but that was just evil. Suddenly, Maleficent noticed MJ's suitcases. "Oh, you brought your things?" she asked.

MJ nodded. "I didn't know how long I'd be here."

Maleficent unzipped MJ's suitcase and dumped all her belongings on the floor. MJ crossed her fingers, hoping Maleficent wouldn't find her spellbook. Suddenly, Maleficent cackled. "Ah-ha! I found it!"

She held up the spellbook, then blew the dust away. MJ waved her hand to clear the dust. "What are you going to do?"

"Throw a birthday party for the old sea witch," Maleficent answered.

"Really?"

"No!"

Maleficent flipped to a page in the book. "Here it is. The perfect spell to take over Auradon once and for all."

MJ looked over her grandmother's shoulder. It was a spell to break the magic dome. She couldn't let this happen. She wouldn't let this happen. "You won't get away with this," MJ said.

Suddenly, Maleficent hit MJ with her Dragon's Eye and sent her flying to the wall. She tied MJ up in chains and laughed. "Don't worry," Maleficent said. "I will." She locked the door and went back out to town.