19

Chapter 19

MJ gulped and backed away from the bed. She almost dropped the candle, but was able to catch it before it fell. A big snore came from Maleficent, scaring MJ. She set the candle back down on the table, but accidentally touched the wax.

"Ouch!" MJ shouted, then covered her mouth.

In the middle of a snore, the dark fairy sat up in her bed. She took off her sleeping mask, and looked around her room. MJ stood in a corner, hoping her grandmother wouldn't notice her. Maleficent's eyes glowed as she peered around the room. MJ sucked on her bottom lip and closed her eyes. Please don't notice me, she thought.

Maleficent got out of her bed, her nightgown falling to her calves. She went over to a drawer and took out something. MJ tried to see what her grandmother was holding. "Don't fret, my dear," Maleficent said. "We will be together again." MJ stood on her tip-toes. She saw that Maleficent was holding the picture of Mal as a child. "We'll rule Auradon," Maleficent continued. "And everyone who ever tried to cross us will be locked away, forever. I will make sure of it." Maleficent kissed the photo and put it back in her drawer. MJ smiled. She felt bad for her grandmother. All she wanted was her daughter back. Also, MJ was surprised that her grandmother wasn't mad at her daughter for being good. Especially after having a child.

"I love you," Maleficent whispered once the drawer was closed. MJ couldn't take this. She wanted her grandmother to be happy. Suddenly, Maleficent stood straight and put her arm out. "Staff!"

The Dragon's Eye, which was in the corner, flew over to Maleficent's arm. She turned around, and struck the ground, making the lights turn on. MJ covered her face. "Well, well, well, what do we have here?" asked Maleficent.

MJ sighed. "Why do all villains say that?"

Maleficent smirked. "So, MJ, you've decided to come back. Why?"

"You know why. You're the reason why." MJ wasn't afraid anymore. She was just like her mother, fierce and fearless, but she could actually swim.

"I'm the reason for a lot of things." Maleficent sat on her bed. "You'll have to be more specific."

"Okay," MJ replied. "Let's see. You snuck into Auradon and stole my ring, you locked me in a closet, you kidnapped CJ, twice, you-"

"You mean your boyfriend?"

MJ stopped talking, her face turning red. "N-no. He's not my boyfriend-"

"Are you sure?" Maleficent's tone sounded confused.

"Y-yeah."

"Because I distinctly remember that blue eyed boy talking about you nonstop. All I heard was, 'MJ'll get me out of here. She's the hero,' and, 'MJ is so brave and strong. She'll rescue me, I know it.' It was utterly disgusting."

MJ smiled. CJ was always so sweet to her. He's a great friend, she thought. But I'm not good enough for him. He's kind and cute, but I've took too long to notice. While MJ was thinking to herself, Maleficent stood up again.

"Now, let's finish this where we started," Maleficent said, holding her staff like a baseball bat. She swung at MJ, but luckily, she ducked and ran out the door. Maleficent chased her down the hall. "Come back here!"

MJ finally made it to the living room, where all her friends were still arguing. "Thank goodness you're okay," Lory said over the fighting. "I thought you would've never came back."

MJ nodded. "Yeah. Anyway, what's with the arguing?"

Lory looked back at everyone. "They just started fighting. You know them and all."